Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Report as New Account for replacement of Lost Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Report as New Account for replacement of Lost Card

I recently lost my Discover card and Discover send me a replacement card with a new card number. Recently I started getting alerts from my Credit bureau reporting that a *New Account* has been added to my profile by Discover [I did check with Discover to make sure this is the only account I have open on my SSN]. This seems odd to me, since I have never experienced this with my other credit cards. With my other credit cards, they would just send me a new card with the new number and nothing gets hit on my credit bureau. Has anyone come across this situation with Discover? Does any other Credit Card do this with a replacement request?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Jlu
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Report as New Account for replacement of Lost Card

It should not be a new TL. Sometimes the monitoring system interprets something wrong. For example I paid off my car loan and the alert said I had an auto loan removed from my CR when in fact it was just reporting as closed instead.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 2 of 4
hemi961
Regular Contributor

No personal experience but I've read several posts that indicate that cards that are reported lost or stolen many times result in a new trade line, whereas cards replaced because of damage but still in your possession do not.  Not sure because I've never lost one.

Message 3 of 4
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

Don't fret, nothing is amiss. When a card is lost or stolen and gets replaced the card number changes, therefore the account number changes. What the lender does is remove the old tradeline and replace it with a new one that had the same history as the old line (opening date, high balance, etc). Your credit report appears just the same as it did before the card was reported lost. The ONLY difference is that the account number listed on your report for your Discover Card is different.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.