Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Reporting Practices

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Reporting Practices

I'm new to the Discover family so I was wondering if anyone knew when Discover decides to report to the CRAs.

I haven't even had my first statement generated and they have already reported twice including this morning to EQ (according to myFico), with a balance that is a couple of days out of date. Seeing as I want to optimize my utilization, I was planning on paying my balance down to zero before the statement cuts on the 19th. I'm assuming they are going to report again when the statement actually cuts.

So any experience with this? Are three reports during a billing cycle typical?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Reporting Practices

They didn't report my card till around 3 months till after i got the card. After that they done it monthly for me 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 8
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Extra reports during a billing cycle are unusual, but I'm guessing these were done because your card is new. Discover usually reports shortly after the monthly statement date, then typically skips a month's reporting after granting a CLI.

It's a good thing util has no memory. Just pay down as you'd planned and after the next statement it should report the figure that's on the statement.

Message 3 of 8
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm new to the Discover family so I was wondering if anyone knew when Discover decides to report to the CRAs.

I haven't even had my first statement generated and they have already reported twice including this morning to EQ (according to myFico), with a balance that is a couple of days out of date. Seeing as I want to optimize my utilization, I was planning on paying my balance down to zero before the statement cuts on the 19th. I'm assuming they are going to report again when the statement actually cuts.

Discover knows...and Discover takes its sweet time with reporting Smiley Wink

Sounds like you have the opposite experience. My IT took 4 months to report (all history was there), they auto CLI me every couple of months - again, it takes an extra cycle for them to report each time they do so. It's actually nice because I've used 0% offers and "ghosted" balances for a month without hurting UTIL

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're applying for anything in the near future you can ask Discover over chat to report mid-cycle and they will happily do it. If you're not applying for anything soon, I wouldn't worry about it and they will start reporting every month after your statement. 

Message 5 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

You are planning on being in the garden for 6 months, and optimizing score now? One of the benefits to being in the garden is being able to ignore such details for a while, take a vacation from OCD, since no apps are pending.

Congratulations on the Discover!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help everyone! Since I am gardening, I guess I will figure out how to let go of my obsession with utilization and just let Discover do what it wants. It's interesting to read about the differing experiences with reporting though.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Discover, you can actually contact their CSRs and request a manusl, off-cycle update to be made to your credit bureau reports.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.