Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Revealed Q3 & Q4 Categories

tag
degs138
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Revealed Q3 & Q4 Categories

To bad they cap 5% at 1500. I would love to do a 10000 kitchen remodel in July. 1000 cash back would be sweet. How many discover it cards can I have? One of each color?

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 31 of 48
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@degs138 wrote:
To bad they cap 5% at 1500. I would love to do a 10000 kitchen remodel in July. 1000 cash back would be sweet. How many discover it cards can I have? One of each color?

Discover's fairly strict. You can only have a maximum of two accounts with them, and no, they cannot be the same product. So you can have an IT and a Miles, but not two of either one (and they have to have different logins!).

Message 32 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ degs138

I can relate, I bought a house last year and maxed out the quarter within the first week. This year will probably be the same.
If you buy from home depot use discover deals, its 5%, purchase online and use the in store pickup feature.
Message 33 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@ degs138

I can relate, I bought a house last year and maxed out the quarter within the first week. This year will probably be the same.
If you buy from home depot use discover deals, its 5%, purchase online and use the in store pickup feature.

I think Lowes usually shows up on Discover Deals as well, so if you're doing a big remodel and know what you want, you can use that to get around the $1500 limit. Or, you could just get a Lowes 5% card and reap the benefits without Discover.

I do find that the quarterly bonuses are having less and less impact. I have SM and the Chase Amazon card (currently 5% back) for Amazon, I could get the Lowes for Lowes, and SM covers me on gas. The only things that are really left is subway tokens and restaurants, which I don't eat at very often.

Message 34 of 48
Mrm-na
New Contributor

I'm disappointed that "internet shopping" has been nerfed to Amazon. I already get Amazon from SM, but "internet" was very useful. I'm glad they at least still have a generic "Home Improvement" category. I can get a lot of use out of that still. I make some large purchases which are categorized as Home Improvement but they are not from a major retailer. I'm dreading the day when they end up like Chase and nerf every category to a specific store like "Home Depot" or something, but right now it's still a great card for the Home Improvement quarter.
Message 35 of 48
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Yeah the nerfing of online shopping down to one website sucks. Yes amazon is nice, but it's not the only website out there, and not always the cheapest.
Message 36 of 48
Mrm-na
New Contributor

I wish "Ground Transportation" covered auto parts stores.  I looked at the description on the Discover site and it looks like it's just for cab fares.

I guess it's just meant to be a concession for city folk who don't have a car and don't buy gas.

I already get gas from another card (and I don't think my local stations take Discover anyway) but auto parts would be a nice category.

Message 37 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd like to see hotels and other categories included as well. I don't buy a single thing on amazon and would love more diversity in the categories. Smiley Happy

Thank goodness they never have hotels as a category! That would be one of the worse I can think of since most people (outside of business travelers) don't stay at hotels more than once or twice a year (if that).

These rotating categories tend to be things a large amount of people can use, if you want discounts on hotels get a hotel card.

Guess it depends on your priotites. My husband and I travel for pleasure, separately from business, and we stay in hotels about 12-14 different times per year for pleasure. I know quite a few people who stay in hotels more than one or two times per year (as you mention), as well.

Our priority is experiences, yours may be in shopping on the internet. Smiley Happy

Message 38 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't forget to check Discover Deals from your account if you are shopping online.  A lot of my purchases have been from the Deals link, I have gotten as much as 15% cash back from Puma and an extra 5% with site like walmart.

Message 39 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does that mean I can load up to 3000 total in Amazon gift card and get 60 dollars cash back?

I had Discover before but closed the account more than 2 years ago because of the 1000 relatively inconvenient credit limit. Do they have any sign up bonus currently?

Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.