Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Rewards Redeem Options

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Discover Rewards Redeem Options

Get some serious Discover rewards to redeem.  Looked at the current gift card offers, it seems some of the $40 to $50, or $80 for $100 ones look good.  The $20 for $40 car rentals are really good, but there are some concerns on insurance coverage etc.  Anything else?

Capture.PNG

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Rewards Redeem Options

I think its a good idea to have a little stash of money.

I am getting 600+ from discover on their cashback match program on the 5th of december. I thought the same as you (what to do?) and I found that Discover offers a very competitive savings account. I opened that account a few months ago and plan to let it sit until I need the money. I have been depositing my monthly cash back into it already. Its accruing nicely. Maybe i will move it over to my IRA. Congrats on your bonus!!

Message 2 of 7
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I plan to keep the rewards as is.  The best way it to get the discounted gift cards.  Some are heavily discounted and you can only get them with Discover reward $$, not cash.

Message 3 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think its a good idea to have a little stash of money.

I am getting 600+ from discover on their cashback match program on the 5th of december. I thought the same as you (what to do?) and I found that Discover offers a very competitive savings account. I opened that account a few months ago and plan to let it sit until I need the money. I have been depositing my monthly cash back into it already. Its accruing nicely. Maybe i will move it over to my IRA. Congrats on your bonus!!

Discover's savings account isn't really that competitive, currently 1.2%   There are many at 1.3%+ and some at 1.5%    Yes. much better than big banks traditional savings, but that's not the competition.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/savings/ has a good list.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the discover savings account, haven't gotten around to depositing money into it yet but I didn't even realize you could use the cash back for that, that's nice to know

Speaking of savings accounts though I actually just the other day noticed a comment on an old thread on here about one of DCU's savings accounts, and if I hadn't seen it on their website I might not have believed it - they offer an account with 5% interest on anything under $1000, which to me is absolutely incredible I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before, not even close

It's definitely worth looking into if you're in the market for a savings account, I'll probably open one myself soon those terms are just too great to pass up lol
Message 5 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I do Chipotle gift cards. I'd be shopping there anyway, a 10% discount is nice, and I'm not giving up any important perk (like return or price protection on clothes).

If I get a CSR, I may rethink this as my last few Hyatt redemptions have been good.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 7
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have the discover savings account, haven't gotten around to depositing money into it yet but I didn't even realize you could use the cash back for that, that's nice to know

Speaking of savings accounts though I actually just the other day noticed a comment on an old thread on here about one of DCU's savings accounts, and if I hadn't seen it on their website I might not have believed it - they offer an account with 5% interest on anything under $1000, which to me is absolutely incredible I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before, not even close

Yeah, there are a few credit unions that have some pretty good deals going on.  Landmark is offering a checking account with 7.5% on the first $500 (with direct deposit)   NFCU offers 12 month CD's at 3% up to $3,000.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.