Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secure... Anyone graduate yet?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Discover Secure... Anyone graduate yet?

My friend is getting the standard:

"We review your credit card monthly, starting at month seven, to see if we can return your security deposit. These reviews are based on responsible credit use across all of your credit cards and loans."

I find that to be an annoying statement that means nothing.... anyone actually been unsecured and at what score and month?

He is currently month 10.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Secure... Anyone graduate yet?

just unsecured after month 8.  Opening TU Score:618.  Unsecured Score: 636.  Opened in Feb of 2016 Graduated 10/27/2016

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed it today CA. Got tired of the generic message they give your friend. Haven't updated score on profile, but TU according to BoA is 681. Burned them years ago, so they only trusted me with my own money.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 24th statement cuts in a couple days.  Still secured.

Member since date: November 30, 2014.

Any time I've called to ask about it Discover CS always tells me I've handled my card with them beautifully but since it's 'across all accounts' and I still have some old mistakes showing, they haven't cut me my check yet.  I get my hopes up every month and am disappointed every month but I can't really say I'm surprised.

Message 4 of 9
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Any time I've called to ask about it Discover CS always tells me I've handled my card with them beautifully but since it's 'across all accounts' and I still have some old mistakes showing, they haven't cut me my check yet.  I get my hopes up every month and am disappointed every month but I can't really say I'm surprised.

What "old mistakes" do you have if you don't mind me asking? I have some old collections but since opening the Discover secured, I have brought my limit with Capital One to 8000 and gotten an Amex BCE with $1000 limit. I'm at month 12 now so I don't know if/when I'll unsecure. I love the Discover rewards but I'd really like to get my $1200 back.

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a 690 TU FICO 8 score and I'm 6 statements in opened march 2016.

I still have some lates that wont drop of until next summer. They are going to make me wait till that happens to give my $500 dollars back when my BCE from AMEX has a $10k unsecured credit line, hell even barclay card gave me a world mastercard? Kinda crazy, I am not paying two annual fees, if I have to pay for another year I'm closing the card.

I like the way the discover card looks and it is accepted at many more places then AMEX, but its not worth $80 in annual fees when I get similar rewards from all my unsecured no annual fee cards.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditdreamer wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What "old mistakes" do you have if you don't mind me asking? I have some old collections but since opening the Discover secured, I have brought my limit with Capital One to 8000 and gotten an Amex BCE with $1000 limit. I'm at month 12 now so I don't know if/when I'll unsecure. I love the Discover rewards but I'd really like to get my $1200 back.

I was laid off on Christmas Eve, 2013.  The company to date hasn't paid me for the last month I worked there (I think the owner of said company is in jail now) and when I tried to get unemployment they told the workforce commission I was fired for cause (which was a blatant lie -- I was likely laid off for asking for my paycheck so I could pay rent...) so I was denied unemployment.  I ended up running out of money, not being able to pay my bills, got evicted, my mother took my homeless butt in and I've been working on fixing everything ever since.

Currently, the judgement from the eviction isn't showing anymore (I disputed on Experian because it was showing as medical which was inaccurate, even if something else is worse, and it was deleted from all three reports like a week later.  That was two months ago.  I know it could be reinserted with correct information at any time but I'll be cautiously optimistic right now), but there's a huge collection showing that I'm going to try for a PFD and a couple charge offs that are still the responsibility of the original creditor that I'm going to try to get them to remove the C/O notation for a paid and closed notation if I can't get them to get rid of them completely.  We'll see.  The biggest one that I will not be able to make go away are 12 lates on Navient student loans -- they don't goodwill so those lates will live there until they fall off in 2021.

My score is up 101 points since I got my secured Discover card.  They can clearly see I'm going in the right direction and haven't had a missed payment in 2 years since I got that card (nor on anything else I've gotten in the past 2 years, which includes everything in my signature).  But regardless of the reason why life happened to me, I'm not quite credit worthy yet in Discover's eyes.  That's just how it is.  

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditdreamer wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was laid off on Christmas Eve, 2013.  The company to date hasn't paid me for the last month I worked there (I think the owner of said company is in jail now) and when I tried to get unemployment they told the workforce commission I was fired for cause (which was a blatant lie -- I was likely laid off for asking for my paycheck so I could pay rent...) so I was denied unemployment.  I ended up running out of money, not being able to pay my bills, got evicted, my mother took my homeless butt in and I've been working on fixing everything ever since.

Currently, the judgement from the eviction isn't showing anymore (I disputed on Experian because it was showing as medical which was inaccurate, even if something else is worse, and it was deleted from all three reports like a week later.  That was two months ago.  I know it could be reinserted with correct information at any time but I'll be cautiously optimistic right now), but there's a huge collection showing that I'm going to try for a PFD and a couple charge offs that are still the responsibility of the original creditor that I'm going to try to get them to remove the C/O notation for a paid and closed notation if I can't get them to get rid of them completely.  We'll see.  The biggest one that I will not be able to make go away are 12 lates on Navient student loans -- they don't goodwill so those lates will live there until they fall off in 2021.

My score is up 101 points since I got my secured Discover card.  They can clearly see I'm going in the right direction and haven't had a missed payment in 2 years since I got that card (nor on anything else I've gotten in the past 2 years, which includes everything in my signature).  But regardless of the reason why life happened to me, I'm not quite credit worthy yet in Discover's eyes.  That's just how it is.  

I'm sorry about what transpired in the past, but you're doing a great job rebuilding.  Discover doesn't make any sense on who they approve or don't approve.  They wouldn't unsecure me, and that's cool.  My reports are almost clean, just have 2 late payments from 2/10 and 9/10 to fall off.  Life goes on.  If other's can approve you, then you know you're worthy.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP - if I may share with you my Discover It Secured card experience....

I graduated right before my 8TH statement was cut. The thing I would point out is like you, I have baddies on my report(s). Here are my stats

I was approved for the card back in April with scores around 570 (ish). I'd have to look again to see the exact numbers. I wasn't close to 600 tho. $900 SL on the card.

The same baddies on my reports at approval are still there now and when my Discover Secured card graduated! I have multiple collection accounts. I'd say 6 or 7. None are related to loans or credit cards, however. I even have a repossession from 2008, a 120D late on that same loan as well showing.

My scores were mid 650 -/+ at graduation and I had a reported balance of like $650 (>70% UTI). I also received a CLI as well. Unsolicited I might add. Jumped up to like $3,100 CL. I haven't hit the button for an increase yet tho.

I opened 3 cards 1 month before the card graduated. In fact, I believe I added around 8 cards in the 7 months I had my Discover card secured. (I'm waves of 3)

So look - don't give up!!! Don't be discouraged. It WILL happen for you too and your card WILL GRADUATE too. With a nice big CLI as well.

Hang in there.. when this comes.to pass, you will be very glad that you reach down and found that patience!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.