cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Card STILL hasnt graduated.....its been 18 months. WHY?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Secured Card STILL hasnt graduated.....its been 18 months. WHY?

I'm just not understanding. What did I do wrong for them to not graduate my secured card yet? I have had this card since May 2015. My credit score was pretty bad back then, low 500's. (Was new to the whole credit thing) I appled for a secured card back then and I had opened up the CC with  a $300 deposit. Then a year later I wanted a credit increase but  then they told me that I would have to use my own funds (deposit) in order to do it. So then I deposited $700 which raised my CL to $1000. Ive never had a late payment with them, and only ONCE have I paid the minimum amount (20.00)  but I have always paid over so I can keep my monthly balance really low. I've called them about a couple months ago I believe it was around in July and they gave me the same BS answer that they have given me before "We review our secured cardmembers every month on the 15th to see if they are eligible or graduation blah blah" The 15th comes around every month and theres nothing changed. I was thinking that maybe they graduate your card if you have a zero balance for a couple of months or something, so I paid it off and my balance has been zero since September 2016. Sometimes I just get frustrated thinking about it and I want to cancel so I could get my deposit back but it was my first CC and I would lose so many points so its not even worth it. What should I do. My scores are 730 TU 735 EQ FICO 675

end rant.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Secured Card STILL hasnt graduated.....its been 18 months. WHY?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm just not understanding. What did I do wrong for them to not graduate my secured card yet? I have had this card since May 2015. My credit score was pretty bad back then, low 500's. (Was new to the whole credit thing) I appled for a secured card back then and I had opened up the CC with  a $300 deposit. Then a year later I wanted a credit increase but  then they told me that I would have to use my own funds (deposit) in order to do it. So then I deposited $700 which raised my CL to $1000. Ive never had a late payment with them, and only ONCE have I paid the minimum amount (20.00)  but I have always paid over so I can keep my monthly balance really low. I've called them about a couple months ago I believe it was around in July and they gave me the same BS answer that they have given me before "We review our secured cardmembers every month on the 15th to see if they are eligible or graduation blah blah" The 15th comes around every month and theres nothing changed. I was thinking that maybe they graduate your card if you have a zero balance for a couple of months or something, so I paid it off and my balance has been zero since September 2016. Sometimes I just get frustrated thinking about it and I want to cancel so I could get my deposit back but it was my first CC and I would lose so many points so its not even worth it. What should I do. My scores are 730 TU 735 EQ FICO 675

end rant.

Hi ChanChan.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no rhyme or reason with Discover.  I got the card the same time as you, but called them yesterday to cancel since I see no point in continuing to tie up $2k when I could stick it in my IRA account.  I'm not worried about the slight dip in scores from closing the card because my profile is a lot stronger now then it was when I first got the card.  I'll know in a couple of weeks what kind of hit I'll take, but like anything my score will rebound.   With your scores, you will be fine.  There are others out there wanting your business.  Good luck whatever you decide.  We each have to do what is best for us. 

Have a great week.Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 11
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

18 months seems like quite awhile to be secured.  Some recent posts have shown that they start reviewing at month 7 which seems to be a new policy considering they normally didn't until 12 months.  Your scores seem to be inline with an approval for a regular card with them though it's confusing that you list a FICO at the end that's 675.  I'm guessing the TU/EQ are from CK then?  Anyway.....  UW requirements vary from time to time with any lender.  When you opened the account they could have put you in a "bucket" that has different requirements than some of the newer accounts are in.  It might be time to start really pestering them about the conversion by calling them and escalating the issue to supervisors.  If you have to maybe even do this weekly to press the issue since they make notes on the account with each contact.  Explain that you've had the account now for 18 months, made payments each month, your scores are significantly higher now than they were before showing progress on cleaning up your report and rebuilding from the ground up.  What's the TU score they show online when you're logged in?  Sign up for scorecard with Discover and you get your EX score free each month too.  Maybe knowing more about your overall profile could help us figure out what's holding you back if you have lates / PR / Tax lien / etc. it might be what they're clinging to for the non-conversion.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The thing that is reallly irritating about Discover also is when you finally do get fed up and close your secured card and decided to ask for your deposit back it takes 2 billing cycles for them to make sure that your balance is at 0 before they issue you a check.  Now that is irritating!!!!!!

Message 4 of 11
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

The reason for the hold is to make sure they are PIF if you happen to forget to change the info on some auto billed accounts.  Nothing strange with this policy.  

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the helpful advice and

Message 6 of 11
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Discover = TU

Discover Scorecard = EX

CK = Vantage scores - they take into account similar yet different things when producing a score.  

Flooding them with interactions is sometimes helpful in pushing them to do something you want done.  The collections are debatable depending on how old they are.  If they both got paid though it might help moving things along.  Just hold onto hope as Discover really is a  decent card to hold onto.  

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE. (I hope its not a vio for reposting in old threads) I had gave them a phone call this wednesday morning 11/16/2016, ready to complain away and threaten to cancelling the card....and the the woman on the phone tells me..."You havent heard about our new policy? We can graduate people on the weekends now. And looking at your account we graduated you this past Sunday 11/13/2016 and you have a CL of 3K. Congratulations!" and I was just like in disbelief for the next 5 seconds. They finally GRADUATED me after 18 months! I have no clue as to why the took SOOOO long. But i'm happy. They will be sending me my deposit and my new unsecured card with the new chip in it  within the next 7-10 days (my current card doesnt have the chip). So glad that it all ended on a good note. Thanks to everyone who had posted in the thread to help me.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and so glad you didn't cancel earlier. The sky is the limit now! 

It almost seems that since they started their new secured review policy that a lot of people stuck with the secured for over a year are finally getting graduated. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the graduation!

Mine's 2 years old now and not graduated so I was going to say you're not alone, but it looks like yours was taken care of Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.