Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured

tag
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

Discover Secured

I was pre-approved for discover secured. I want to know opinions. It is the last card I want to add to my wallet. Then I plan on gardening. I have alot of hard pulls already including one from discover within the last 30 days. Will they use the same hard pull? If yes, should I go for it?
So far I have
BofA cash rewards $400 limit
Credit one $300 limit
Credit union $300 limit
And AU on Cap 1 $500 limit
I have one new account (cu) in the last 2 months. The others are a year old to two years old.
17 REPLIES 17
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Secured

The discover secured card is a good rebuilding product and it does graduate.

You scores seem to be pretty low. What’s holding them down ? You might try to see if you can Prequalify for Amex with your EX score being 658. (I got that score from your sig, I assume it’s Fico) if one of their cards fit your needs better then discover.

You can’t go wrong with discover though. The double cash back the first year is nice and the fact that the card graduates is also very helpful. You can always product change the IT chrome which is what you get when you go secured to the regular 5% cash back card.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 18
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

I was leaning towards the Discover to save another hard pull. Do you know if they use the same hard pull again if you apply within the 30 days of the last. In the future I will try for Amex. How many cards is too many cards in a 2 year period? I have new account and don't want to mess up anything.
Message 3 of 18
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I have no idea if they will use the same hardpull within 30 days. Call and ask.

I wouldn’t open a bunch. I’ve opened 7 accounts in the past year. But spaced out. I’m in the garden. It’s just profile dependent how many is too many.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 4 of 18
topgunvf
Regular Contributor

Newbie it's up to you in the end but discover is great to be with secured or not it's a great card. You can start as little as $200 or as high as $2,500 (keep in mind if and when it graduates that's your starting limit +\- possible CLI YMMV). 

As as far as hard pull even if I knew for sure (I don't) I'd advise to call in anyway. They've always been helpful IMO and it never hurts to ask. EVER. 

With that said, just checking Amex prequal won't hurt either and they pull Experian and typically (unless you are a DP wave maker) only pull Ex. Whatever your decision, best of luck and keep us posted!

-B

Message 5 of 18
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. Also, tried amex prequal.. it was a no go for me.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Newbie, I’m still learning about the ins and outs of credit cards and rebuilding but I can tell you that for me they did another hard pull. I appd for the Discover Secured back on 1/19 (denied) and again on 2/17 after getting a nice 30 point jump in my scores but it was another denial and another HP. My GF was able to get approved so I’m just AU on hers until they let me in their good graces but I definitely can’t wait to add that card to my wallet.
Message 7 of 18
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

Omg that sucks! Well it's to late I already took the leap .. passed everything just waiting on them to verify my bank account for the security deposit. I haven't received a hard pull yet. And hope I don't. But if it happens it happens. I'm off to the garden anyways. That was the last card I wanted to add. I'm set. Good luck to you. I hear many great things about discover. And good look on the AU. It gave me a 30+ jump on the first month it reported. But that was for Cap One.
Message 8 of 18
topgunvf
Regular Contributor

You should be in the clear (from past experience) if you made it to banking verification and no recent credit alerts but fingers crossed and sending the kudos vibes your way good luck!

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome stuff! Congrats on the approval!
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.