Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Slashed Limit

tag
KittahMama
Valued Member

Discover Slashed Limit

Ok- so I have quite a few cards and I have 3 new cards since July. BUT.... I have a 6 year perfect payment history, I have pushed over 4k through my Disco More in 4 months and I have paid over 3.2k on it (so I had a balance of ~$800 of my 2500 initial limit). Call me crazy- I thought I might be up for an INCREASE in spring... Anyhow. I notice on mint that it said I had $150 available on my Disco. I thought it was an error. I had a balance of $1500 on the card last month and 3 weeks ago I had paid that down to $800. ( I made a big fat payment on it for Pete sake!). I logged into my Disco to check out the remaining balance because I plan on paying off all my cards before Jan 1 and wanted to tally it in with the other TWO cards that still have a balance (I have about 13 cards, all at $0 ALL THE TIME, I use & pay off every month...) Anyhow. I had ~$42k in total credit and $3400 on a 5k (yeah I know, a bit high) and 1300 on another 5k, and my 800 on my Disco @ 2.5k....... They cut me down to $1,000 total as of Monday. Due to an "soft credit review". **bleep**. No lates, yeah I have a high balance on ONE freaking card, I have paid them over 3k in 4 months and I have NEVER, EVER been late on a single thing. I have a mortgage, one paid off car loan, one car loan that's active, a student loan and credit cards. All paid on time. 

I paid my Disco in FULL. F them. I am not letting that sucker report at 90%!!!

I am beyond pissed. What a slap in the face. I have an 8k Amex BCE, had it for 15 months it's at $0. Geez.... I had to vent. I can't believe they didn't even courtesy call me. I feel like if they were the caliber of company they claim to be they could have called to let me know and talk about it. B of A calls me for crying out loud just to check in and see if I am enjoying my card/savings. B of A!!! Who knew they could skunk Discover in service?

Anyhow. Now my little 1k limit will be utilized $0.... I am calling Monday to ask them to restore my limit. Not sure if they will. If they don't I am sock drawering this card until the shoot me at least a 5k. As of January I will have $0 credit card debt and I imagine every company will be falling all over me, except Discover. Makes me wish I hadn't talked my boyfriend in to signing up with them. They don't have DIDDLEY on Amex. 

That's my vent. Thanks for reading! Smiley Happy I feel slightly better now. 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Slashed Limit

Wow.  Sorry to hear that - hopefully they'll be receptive to increasing your CL back to where it started, or at least can give you a valid reason why they did it.

I do think they're probably sensitive to new accounts (not Barclay's sensitive, but...).  I got my More card with them in 5/12, with a $3000 CL.  At month three, they auto-CLI me to $3500, and then at month five they auto-CLI me to $3750.  I was all excited thinking I could get a nice increase after 6 months, but was declined for "too many new accounts."  In fairness to them, I had opened 4-5 new cards in Aug/Sept, but my overal utilization and scores were MUCH better than when I was originally approved.

Oh well, live and learn.  I have close to 3 months of gardening under my belt, and I'm not asking for anything from them until next summer after these accounts age.  And if they choose to CLD me, no big deal - I've got better cards.

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 2 of 18
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Just calm down. Maybe a system error. Simply call would solve the problem .

Wish u best.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 18
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

I had ~$42k in total credit and $3400 on a 5k (yeah I know, a bit high) and 1300 on another 5k, and my 800 on my Disco @ 2.5k....... They cut me down to $1,000 total as of Monday. Due to an "soft credit review". **bleep**. No lates, yeah I have a high balance on ONE freaking card, I have paid them over 3k in 4 months and I have NEVER, EVER been late on a single thing. I have a mortgage, one paid off car loan, one car loan that's active, a student loan and credit cards.

im going to guess that DFS has calculated and determined that with the amount that you spend and the amount of total debt that you currently have, in addition to the rate at which you are now paying off your debt, that they have calculated that you may be more of a risk than you may actually be. looking at you numbers, I can understand DFS's motivation in decreasing your limit.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 4 of 18
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

You should call them and get someone higher up to take a peek at your account. I dunno about the whole new account thing either. Ive had 6-7 cards opened since i opened my More just 13 months ago. They seem to love balance transfers in, and keeping a balance hasnt been an issue and i havent heard of them being picky about these things on here 

Message 5 of 18
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

i dont think its your new accounts that caused the CLD. my discover card was my 4th or 5th card i opened on my 15 cards app spree and it still open with the same cl. i think its those 2 other cards reporting balances that caused it

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 6 of 18
KittahMama
Valued Member

Yeah that's what I thought too but the CSR said it was noted as being "too many new account" I guess that 3 in 5 months is a lot. One was a Lowes card (because I shop there all the time and the 5% is nice, I just pay it off immediately) and one was a gas card. The other is actually a credit card that my bank gave me when I got my car PRE discover, it just didn't report until the end of July (bought my car june 28). Oh poo. It doesn't bother me so as much that they slashed my limit, I mean it does bother me, but what really annoys me is they didn't call. I just expected more from them. Jokes on me. 

Message 7 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I would call them. They didn't give me any adverse action from lines I opened in Feb.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 18
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Wow, sorry to hear.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 9 of 18
SportBike4Life
Regular Contributor

Discover is one of the most conservative at handling out high CL's. It has by far the lowest CL out of all of my cards. Smiley Frustrated

Jun 2012 FICO® ~ 734 EQ
Sep 2012 FICO® ~ 684 EQ; 734 TU
Oct 2012 FICO® ~ TBA

Goal for 2014 ~760+

Trying to stay in the garden...but also trying to get as many apps as possible for now Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.