Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Slashed Limit

tag
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover Slashed Limit

They are conservative. I have a 22000 limit on one of my cards and decent limit on others, and my Discover is stuck at 1700 after a year. To heck with them in my opinion. They are very nice when you call them but I don't like the low limit. i have opened a decent number of new cards in the past year so it's not really a surprise.

Message 11 of 18
RonDawg
Contributor

@SportBike4Life wrote:

Discover is one of the most conservative at handling out high CL's. It has by far the lowest CL out of all of my cardsSmiley Frustrated

I agree with you on that.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 12 of 18
OwNt
New Contributor

Carrying a balance on any credit card can be seen as risky behavior. It would not surprise me to learn that is the reason for OP's CLD. 

As far as low credt limits with Discover, they do seem to be more conservative than some of the other major banks. My limit with them is about $16,000, so YMMV. My lowest limit by far is PenFed.

~~Credit Cards~~
Alliant Platinum Rewards Visa, AmEx BCP, BofA Power Rewards, Bank of the West Platinum, Barclay Rewards World MC, Chase Freedom/Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thank You Preferred/Citi Dividend Select, Discover IT, FNBOmaha, Paypal MC, US Bank Cash+/US Bank Perks+.

Total: $300,000+ in lines.
Message 13 of 18
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@OwNt wrote:

Carrying a balance on any credit card can be seen as risky behavior. It would not surprise me to learn that is the reason for OP's CLD. 

As far as low credt limits with Discover, they do seem to be more conservative than some of the other major banks. My limit with them is about $16,000, so YMMV. My lowest limit by far is PenFed.

What was your initial credit limit with Discover? They started me off with 10k, so I'm wondering what kind of CLI I will get after I request it.

Message 14 of 18
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@OwNt wrote:

16k is a bit on the high end for most of us. i am guessing by your info that your average limits are around 25 to 30k which is astronomically high in comparison to most.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Called them today. Agent reviewed my account, asked the standard questions; income, mortgage payment, time on the job. He said my payment history looks great worth all my creditors and it is exceptional with discover. Apologized and reinstated my limit in full. Whew!
Message 16 of 18
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Called them today. Agent reviewed my account, asked the standard questions; income, mortgage payment, time on the job. He said my payment history looks great worth all my creditors and it is exceptional with discover. Apologized and reinstated my limit in full. Whew!

Very glad to hear they were reasonable about it.  Then again they are Discover and they tend to do their best to please good card holders.  I was actually expecting you to post something along that line considering the info you posted.   Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OwNt wrote:

oddly enough, penfed is actually my highest credit limit at 20,000. fidelity amex at 15,000. citi diamond at 10,900. but my discover is still at 1500. no auto cli either Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.