cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover: Slow to restore available credit after payment?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Discover: Slow to restore available credit after payment?

Hi, just wondering people's experience with how long it takes Discover to update the available credit following a payment.    This is a new card, so I don't know if they are more cautious.    I paid twice, and the first one seemed to go through quickly, but the other posted 3/6 and is not reflected in available credit.   I think the T&Cs say it may take 20 days, but looking more for real world experience!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Discover: Slow to restore available credit after payment?

In my experience it can take several days especially with a large payment and I've been with them for 3 years. One of my larger payments, something like $3k, took about 5 days to be reflected in available credit.

I think it's just how they are, nothing to do with it being new...seems like they're just not the fastest with it.

Message 2 of 23
baller4life
Super Contributor

Always next day for me
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

In my experience it can take several days especially with a large payment and I've been with them for 3 years. One of my larger payments, something like $3k, took about 5 days to be reflected in available credit.

I think it's just how they are, nothing to do with it being new...seems like they're just not the fastest with it.

Is this a "Discover" thing per se?  I ask because I have made payments of $5,100 and $5,200 on my Ritz card and all was available the very next day.  My Amex posts immediately.

Message 4 of 23
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It seems to be a Discover thing, yeah; my other cards do not take as long to update.

Sometimes smaller payments are processed much more quickly, but the larger ones definitely take longer. I don't know the size of LTL's payment in this case, but my experience has been they are slower with the large payments for sure.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next day here as well
Message 6 of 23
Jahmakan
Valued Member

I've experienced this very thing a couple of times with my Disover card as well.  There is actually a statement/disclaimer that popped up telling me something along the lines of the available balance not being updated immediately in a situation where multiple payments are made within a short time period (believe it was three days) between each other; so the first one would update the next day, but the other ones would be delayed.  Wasn't a problem in my case because I had enough of a cushion without the payments anyway, but I can see where it could be a problem if the funds would be needed as soon as possible.  Not sure of their reason for doing it though.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just made a payment yesterday and it reflected today.

Message 8 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jahmakan wrote:

I've experienced this very thing a couple of times with my Disover card as well.  There is actually a statement/disclaimer that popped up telling me something along the lines of the available balance not being updated immediately in a situation where multiple payments are made within a short time period (believe it was three days) between each other; so the first one would update the next day, but the other ones would be delayed.  Wasn't a problem in my case because I had enough of a cushion without the payments anyway, but I can see where it could be a problem if the funds would be needed as soon as possible.  Not sure of their reason for doing it though.

OK, thanks, maybe the multiple payments was the issue

Message 9 of 23
growing123
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Hi, just wondering people's experience with how long it takes Discover to update the available credit following a payment.    This is a new card, so I don't know if they are more cautious.    I paid twice, and the first one seemed to go through quickly, but the other posted 3/6 and is not reflected in available credit.   I think the T&Cs say it may take 20 days, but looking more for real world experience!

I noticed that when I try to make more than one payment within the same week, I receive a message about 'for your security, the payment might not show in available credit for up to so many days..' (can't remember exact wording).  I'm watching my utilization so I paid my bill in full, but there were a few pending charges I was trying to pay for before reporting.  That's when I received that message. 

Hope this helps..

ETA: the first payment goes through the next day.

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.