cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Student Card CLI... Anyone successful without inquiry?

tag
freelancer526

Discover Student Card CLI... Anyone successful without inquiry?

i have had the discover student card since january 2011 with an initial credit line of $500... it has not gone up since then. my sister applied for the same card in march 2012 with an initial credit line of $500 and is now at $1300 with automated CLI. Since I got the card until now i've spent over $18000... over $800 a month on a $500 CL by paying off my balance weekly. i just made a call today to request a CLI to $1500 so i can buy a laptop for my girlfriend for christmas but the CSR said it will require an inquiry.

was anyone successful with CLI without inquirie? the last i checked my credit score was 722 when i bought a car 2 months ago. should i just go ahead and apply for another credit card? which ones are reasonably acquirable with my credit score?

just some background information: $45000 salary, graduated may 2012, only expenses are personal+car+insurance+phone (living with parents right now)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Student Card CLI... Anyone successful without inquiry?

Hmmm my brother has a student Discover card as well but it's been a little less than 6 months since he's had it so we haven't bothered doing a CLI on it (it's already a really high limit of 5k, and since it's his highest limit so far with a short AAoA we don't want to wake the bear too soon). I can look into it, but hopefully someone else who has had experience will get back to you sooner!

Message 2 of 7
distantarray
Established Contributor

i would personally apply for a Citi Forward card, it's good for people in your shoes and it gives 5% off amazon, movie tickets etc and 5% back for dining fast food or fine dining although redeeming it isn't always 1/1 ratio but 0.8 / 1 on some cases but that's still solid 4% i thinkn you might have to have another product with Citi but I just got the card and loving it so far.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Also define "inquiry"...they have to pull your report regardless but there is a huge difference between a hard pull and soft pull...so far online i've been seeing if your limit is under 15k every 6 months you can get a soft pull but over 15k is a hard pull. That may be outdated information though, since credit card companies change their policies.

Recent forums are showing it depends on the increase, customer, etc. So if the rep told you it's a hard pull, try calling again in 3-6 months to ask again. Others have said that a few days later after denying a hard pull to increase the limit they wind up giving them an automated anyways! Online CLI will often call you or notify you if a hard pull is necessary.

Message 4 of 7
freelancer526

i asked her about automated CLI, but she said "in your case when you request CLI a harder inquiry is required." i paid eveything with discover where accepted and when my credit line permits. i would like a CLI before resorting to paying cash for a $750 laptop... but more importantly, i feel like my CL is stuck at $500 with discover because it hasn't gone up while my sister's went up several times in a short period. (though she is still in school and without an income)

Message 5 of 7
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Sometimes CC companies have stricter rules for student cards. You might want to just app for another CC like maybe Freedom or Citi Forward. You might get a higher line. 

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 6 of 7
GlocksAndCredit
Regular Contributor

Ask in the online Chat Session. I did, but was denied. Wasn't a hard pull. He said he would get all my information, and if it required a hard pull he would tell me, and let me make my decision from there. Was a soft pull for a denial. I didn't mind it.

CSP $9500, CapitalOne VentureOne Sig Visa $8000 Chase Freedom Sig Visa $5000, Citi ThankYou Preferred Sig Visa $5000, Amazon Store Card $5000, Discover IT $4800, CapitalOne Quick Silver MasterCard $4000, Fidelity AMEX $4000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $3300, Hilton Honors Sig Visa $3300, Citi Double Cash $2700, SunTrust Cash Rewards $2500, Citi Simplicity Visa $2300, AMEX BCE $2000, AMEX Everyday $2000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles $2000, Amazon Reward Visa $1800, BP VIsa $1800, Barclays Apple Visa $1700, Suncoast FCU $1000, Target REDCard $900

Current Scores: EQ 727 (Fico), EX 735 (Fico) **In the Garden unti....forever.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.