Did you mean: 

Discover Upgrade Offer

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Upgrade Offer

@azguy13 wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

Today, logging into my GECRB Walmart card, which has a $0 balance but I still check all my cards thanks to my OCD, I received the pop-up for the Discover upgrade.  I would actually take them up on it if not for 2 reasons.

1.  It's a new account and will factor into my AAoA.  Really???  Why can't they just convert the stupid thing?

2.  They are switching the Walmart Discover to the Walmart Mastercard.  Will that be another new TL?

So, I have plenty of cards, think I'm just going to graciously decline this one.  Though it's about freaking time they offered it.  lol....

I'm glad you didn't jump the gun just because of the offer. When BB switched from Cap1 to Citi, I cancelled the card due to the anticipated new TL. I cancelled it before the transition was complete and they still put a new TL on my report, it was just closed. So, I now have a TL that has never reported as open, lol. Once day I will find a way to remove it since I am sure it hurt my AAoA

Yeah I got burned by that... opened my BB account with a $1500 0% purchase and the very next month they sold to Citi and I got a new TL.  Bleh...

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 11 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

Good move I wouldn't accept the offer either at this point it's really not worth the hit to AAoA

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 12 of 17
bk510
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I was just wondering if its confirmed that switch from discover to mc will happen with Walmart also. Was thinking maybe only Sam's club to compete with amex Costco card which is also an membership only card 

Walmart store card will have a MC logoSmiley Happy

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 13 of 17
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I don't think the new TL would hurt your aaoa that much tbh.

but this is coming from someone with almost 20 credit cards. LOL

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 14 of 17
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I was just wondering if its confirmed that switch from discover to mc will happen with Walmart also. Was thinking maybe only Sam's club to compete with amex Costco card which is also an membership only card 

The switch is not about membership.  It actually has to do with the fact that Discover itself is ending cobranding entirely.  They are doing this with all cobrands, not just with GE.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 15 of 17
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I got the same offer yesterday from both walmart & old navy. I accepted the old navy because I love that card and use it all the time for its perks. I declined the walmart for the same reasons as you. I really don't want any new tl's but I know it will be with old navy and then when my sams converts. When is this sams conversion supposed to take place?
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 16 of 17
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

eRe: Discover Upgrade Offer

I just got this offer tonight - and based on what everyone has typed here -  I should just leave this alone?  I do not another Discover card - or any other card -  So - it might just be better for me to leave everything like it is.

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.