Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Upgrade Offer

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Discover Upgrade Offer

Today, logging into my GECRB Walmart card, which has a $0 balance but I still check all my cards thanks to my OCD, I received the pop-up for the Discover upgrade.  I would actually take them up on it if not for 2 reasons.

1.  It's a new account and will factor into my AAoA.  Really???  Why can't they just convert the stupid thing?

2.  They are switching the Walmart Discover to the Walmart Mastercard.  Will that be another new TL?

So, I have plenty of cards, think I'm just going to graciously decline this one.  Though it's about freaking time they offered it.  lol....

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover Upgrade Offer

@Shogun wrote:

Today, logging into my GECRB Walmart card, which has a $0 balance but I still check all my cards thanks to my OCD, I received the pop-up for the Discover upgrade.  I would actually take them up on it if not for 2 reasons.

1.  It's a new account and will factor into my AAoA.  Really???  Why can't they just convert the stupid thing? NEW TL AND THEY WONT CONVERT. they're rude. lol

2.  They are switching the Walmart Discover to the Walmart Mastercard.  Will that be another new TL? YES

So, I have plenty of cards, think I'm just going to graciously decline this one.  Though it's about freaking time they offered it.  lol....

Good job on the decline for now! When it becomes the Wal-Mart Mastercard -- or if it does... that's when I would upgrade if they keep the same reward structure as the Sam's one later on. 

Message 2 of 17
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

1.  It's a new account and will factor into my AAoA.  Really???  Why can't they just convert the stupid thing?

2.  They are switching the Walmart Discover to the Walmart Mastercard.  Will that be another new TL?

I'm glad you didn't jump the gun just because of the offer. When BB switched from Cap1 to Citi, I cancelled the card due to the anticipated new TL. I cancelled it before the transition was complete and they still put a new TL on my report, it was just closed. So, I now have a TL that has never reported as open, lol. Once day I will find a way to remove it since I am sure it hurt my AAoA

Message 3 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

I was quite curious to see if I got this offer also I did not.how long have you had Walmart card? Just curious 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 17
TrulyyBlessed
Regular Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

I completely agree with your reasons. I have no clue why they would not take their customers moreso into consideration and backdate the card. The sad part is that many, including myself, have been told by CSR's that the upgrade would not affect AAoA and the upgraded card would have the same date as the store card. I have a relative who found out the hard way that this information was NOT true.

Starting Score: Nov. 2012 585
Current Score: EQ 733 EX 777 TU 743 Goal Score: 750+

Message 5 of 17
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I've had the card for about 18 months.  Started at $550, now at $5K or so.  I just used it every couple months or so, then PIF.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 17
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Yeah, so I finally got the upgrade offer too.  I repeatedly asked about the opening date of the card and if it would remain the same.  I also asked how it would be reported to insure that the conversion would not affect my credit score.  I was referred to Trans Union to answer these questions.  It helps them to establish plausible deniability.  Poor plausible deniability, since if all the account info stays the same and it is simply a new account number than there would be no affect to the credit score.  I imagine they are not trained properly or not aware of what really happens. 

How long does the offer stay available?  I am tempted to try it so that I can later go to the BBB and make them make everything right for everyone's benefit.  But then again, they would probably fix just my account/report and not be proactive about it for everyone else.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 7 of 17
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Smart moveSmiley Happy

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 8 of 17
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I also asked about the MasterCard switch later this year and they said it was only for Sam's Club.  I guess they don't realize that Discover is ending all third party cobranding.  But they did say that if there is a switch then the cards would later be changed to MasterCards.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 9 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I was just wondering if its confirmed that switch from discover to mc will happen with Walmart also. Was thinking maybe only Sam's club to compete with amex Costco card which is also an membership only card 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.