Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Users FYI/Beware....

tag
lenz99
New Contributor

Re: Discover Users FYI/Beware....

I requested a new card with a different design few days ago and the card came with chip. My old card(without chip) is still listed and can be managed online.

Message 31 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lenz99 wrote:

I requested a new card with a different design few days ago and the card came with chip. My old card(without chip) is still listed and can be managed online.  

That's weird. When I got chip cards, my old cards disappeared and stopped working (i actually tried and got declined).

Message 32 of 38
taxi818
Super Contributor

Not really weird. The old one will work for about 30 days. Then it will fade away. As yes you can manage for now. But not for long. Only my chip designs working now. I have. Copper. Blue. And nhl
ow
Message 33 of 38
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@lenz99 wrote:

I did the same thing with the NHL themed cards. She told me my old cards would stop working after a month and sure enough a month later they were deleted from my account and stopped working. They're still valid so that you can switch bills (such as the gym) over to the new card.

Message 34 of 38
Berk
Established Contributor

@signaturecardmember wrote:

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to give the users a heads up. This applies to anyone with a non-chip Discover card still. I recently recieved chipped cards without requesting them as part of everyone switching. Well they are ugly and I was in no use to activate them. I spoke to a representative and said she could activate the new cards but leave the old ones also active until they expire, great.

WRONG

After the  activation one of my AU's old card was no longer listed on the account for some reason....no big deal. Continued to use mine and showed everyone else with 2 cards until tonight. Went to use the 2% at a wine store and no longer worked. Logged in and now my old card is no longer shown under my profile but other AU's still have both listed.

Just go ahead and switch over if you want to be safe, not sure why or how they auto deleted my old card but was pretty disappointed they did it without warning and went against what the customer service agent told me.

I really enjoy my Discover card overall but their fraud prevention/declines have been way out of control for me.

Hope this heads up saves others frustration!

Go ahead and put a little eye liner, foundation, and lip gloss (so 80s right?) over the EMV chip. That's what I did and all my cards now look fabu! Oh, hey, you can add some highlights to the card as well.

Message 35 of 38
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

I have not received any replacement credit cards this year. All my CCs are still non chipped - including my American flag Discover card.

Heck, even my state DL is not compliant. Won't be able to get on a plane come 2016 unless I use my passport. Wait, that's also non chipped and going to expire next year. 

Apparently it is the end of the line for me. 

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 36 of 38
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

I have not received any replacement credit cards this year. All my CCs are still non chipped - including my American flag Discover card.

Heck, even my state DL is not compliant. Won't be able to get on a plane come 2016 unless I use my passport. Wait, that's also non chipped and going to expire next year. 

Apparently it is the end of the line for me. 

You're not alone... my passport is just now getting the now required 'contactless' chip (it's time for renewal) and my state is far behind in getting out the compliant DLs.  They are available, but you have to go to special locations to get them (not the usual DMV) and it's quite a pain.  Also, right now in my state the folks who do get compliant DLs must go back to one of those same inconvenient locations when renewal time comes around... no online or DMV renewals for those folks.  As you can imagine, there's not a huge rush to deal with the extra misery here.  Thankfully I'll have my passport to fall back on if the need arises.

Something tells me the deadline will be extended (once again) to give everybody time to get on board, pun not intended.  I can't imagine the federal government enforcing a rule that would make air travel illegal for millions of citizens.  It's not that they couldn't (we know they could) but it would be extremely disruptive, and would be a PR disaster for numerous politicians.

Sorry for derailing the thread...

Back to the OP's original post... it would seem the lesson here is that if you request a new card, it could be possible (?) for the old card to continue to work a while longer, but once Discover send out a EMV replacement for your existing cards, most likely the old card that was replaced will stop working at some point.

In other words, YMMV with the old cards - that's my take-away from this thread.  My only card happens to be EMV, so I'm in the clear.  If I ever decide to get a nice green ("spruce") one like I originally selected I'll be mindful of their statuses before switching them around.  Smiley Wink

Message 37 of 38
TheConductor
Established Contributor

@signaturecardmember wrote:

As already stated my issue is worth incorrect guidance provided by the card issuer....

I'm not sure "CSRs sometimes give incorrect information" rises to the level of something that requires the word "Beware". Smiley LOL

But thank you for passing the information along.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.