Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover acting weird

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover acting weird

Discover is acting like a creepy person who won't stop calling/texting you who's really into you.

My fiancée for the past 2 months has been getting mailers from Discover to sign up, 1-2 a week. Literally the same offer every single time just a different envelope.

Since Discover has no sign up bonuses she really doesn't see and rush to sign up with them.

The offer she gets every time is 0% for 14 months 13-16% apr.

That's an okay offer but plenty of lenders offer 0% for 12 months AND a sign up bonus.

Has anyone else had this happen? Or has anyone received a sign up bonus (not a referral bonus)?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover acting weird

I was getting a different color mailer from Discover 2-3 times a week before I finally bit and applied. If they see something in your SP profile they like, you'll get tons of mail from them!

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well her scores are pretty good (720-740 FICO) but since there's no sign up bonus there's no real incentive for her to apply right now.

I'm waiting to see what category 3 is for this year and if it is not restaurants then I'll refer her immediately, but if it is restaurants then I'll wait until mid July to refer her. The reason being is that my 1st year is up at the end of August so I earn double cash back, even on referrals through then!
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

And most of our leisure spend is on restaurants (we're foodies)!
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Discover ever do sign up bonuses?  I have not heard of any if so.

Discover wastes a ton of bread on postage.  I don't know what it costs them to mail out one of those colorful envelopes, but it's got to be $1+ so for those that they're sending 2 a week to they're throwing away $100/year.  Times how many people?  Pretty crazy when you think about it.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

BrutalBodyShots - As far as Sign Up bonuses I haven't seen any.

But as far as postage it costs them from USPS 3-4 cents per each one to mail them. They get a contracted deal for bulk mail, and it's considered "second class mail" which is mail that if it gets lost it's not considered a big deal and so on.

- Source I worked at USPS for 3 years.

Message 6 of 18
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Doubling the Cash Back at one year on Discover it is like a sign on. Actually smart way to do it from the view of the CC company, the more you spend the more the CB the first year. My wife will be getting about $300 in May, her Disc it anniversary date.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The highest spend category for us is Restaurants and for 3/4 of the year we get 2% because of the double CB. If a card just had restaurants at 5% year round we would definitely get it! But for now the closest we will get is Discover and Freedom.
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm STILL getting sign-up mailers from Discover three weeks or more after I was approved for a card. I think their software routine for telling when somebody has taken an offer so you can stop sending them mailers has broken.

Message 9 of 18
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

OP, wanting to attract a reliable, profitable customer is not "acting weird." it's their business model!

your gf probably hit the discover radar from multiple channels and hence the many mailers.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.