Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover & Chase: A Tale of 2 CLIs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover & Chase: A Tale of 2 CLIs

Well, I finished a successful mini-application spreee with USAA and Navy Federal and decided I still had another INQ or two to burn before heading back into CC App Detox.

I called Discover to ask for a $3k CLI and the initial CSR was very, very nice.  She ran an initial assessment and came back with a "further processing is needed" and assured me that this was a good sign since the vast majority of CLIs now were being declined.  He transferred me over to their credit analysts who asked me questions related to income and why I needed an increase.  I told him the truth:  with my current limit if I do not pay off the balance weekly it ends up looking like I am maxed out at the end of each month. 

A brief wait (pulled TU) and a follow-up question about how an old geezer like me only has an AAoA of 4 years, and ... approved.  I have to stress that the two guys I spoke with were prime candidates for the post professional and friendly people on the planet.

On to Chase ... and a request for a similar $3k CLI.  Again, the frontline CSR was extremely nice and walked me through the Q&A session effortlessly.  Unfortunately, as soon as he stated "I'm sorry ... " I knew I was SOL.  Regrouping, I asked him if it weren't possible to talk with someone now about the reasons for denial instead of waiting for the mail to deliver their letter, he transferred me to an analyst.  Again, the CSR was very professional and friendly.

I told the analyst I wasn't really looking for reconsideration, but more for an education.  She told me there were two main reasons why the CLI wasn't approved:

1.  3 INQs during the past year (they pulled EQ); and

2.  Several new accounts opened a year and a half ago.

She also wondered about the now standard "old geezer with a 4-year AAoA" thing.

I told her that one of the INQs was about 6 months ago and for a personal loan that has since been paid in full.  I also told her why my credit history appears short.  Without anything further, I thanked her for the education and told her I could see Chase's point of view.  Surprisingly, she then asked me what motivated me to request a CLI and, again, I told her the truth.  I use this card a lot at Amazon every month and have to pay the balance several times per month in order to keep under my CL and to not appear like I am living off my credit card. 

She asked me to hold for a second and then came back and said she'd approve a CLI for $3k.  I was surprised.  What surprised me even more, though, is her stating that if I let my current accounts age another year or two that the sky would be the limit.

All in all, a very pleasant, productive and, more importantly, educational experience.     

Now I'm freezing all my CRs again and heading off to Application Rehab, but hopefully not the same rehab that CreditAddict uses.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover & Chase: A Tale of 2 CLIs

way to go... congrats

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 4
kwoods1
Valued Member

Wow....congratulations!

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I finished a successful mini-application spreee with USAA and Navy Federal and decided I still had another INQ or two to burn before heading back into CC App Detox.

I called Discover to ask for a $3k CLI and the initial CSR was very, very nice.  She ran an initial assessment and came back with a "further processing is needed" and assured me that this was a good sign since the vast majority of CLIs now were being declined.  He transferred me over to their credit analysts who asked me questions related to income and why I needed an increase.  I told him the truth:  with my current limit if I do not pay off the balance weekly it ends up looking like I am maxed out at the end of each month. 

A brief wait (pulled TU) and a follow-up question about how an old geezer like me only has an AAoA of 4 years, and ... approved.  I have to stress that the two guys I spoke with were prime candidates for the post professional and friendly people on the planet.

On to Chase ... and a request for a similar $3k CLI.  Again, the frontline CSR was extremely nice and walked me through the Q&A session effortlessly.  Unfortunately, as soon as he stated "I'm sorry ... " I knew I was SOL.  Regrouping, I asked him if it weren't possible to talk with someone now about the reasons for denial instead of waiting for the mail to deliver their letter, he transferred me to an analyst.  Again, the CSR was very professional and friendly.

I told the analyst I wasn't really looking for reconsideration, but more for an education.  She told me there were two main reasons why the CLI wasn't approved:

1.  3 INQs during the past year (they pulled EQ); and

2.  Several new accounts opened a year and a half ago.

She also wondered about the now standard "old geezer with a 4-year AAoA" thing.

I told her that one of the INQs was about 6 months ago and for a personal loan that has since been paid in full.  I also told her why my credit history appears short.  Without anything further, I thanked her for the education and told her I could see Chase's point of view.  Surprisingly, she then asked me what motivated me to request a CLI and, again, I told her the truth.  I use this card a lot at Amazon every month and have to pay the balance several times per month in order to keep under my CL and to not appear like I am living off my credit card. 

She asked me to hold for a second and then came back and said she'd approve a CLI for $3k.  I was surprised.  What surprised me even more, though, is her stating that if I let my current accounts age another year or two that the sky would be the limit.

All in all, a very pleasant, productive and, more importantly, educational experience.     

Now I'm freezing all my CRs again and heading off to Application Rehab, but hopefully not the same rehab that CreditAddict uses.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 690 - EQ, 771 - TU
Current Score: 690 - EQ, 771 - TU
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3 bureaus

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

Just tried to take a little off of my 1st Chase card and move it to a 2nd Chase card that I have.  No dice.  They say that Chase Amazon & Chase Freedom are not compatible for consolidations.  Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.