Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover and Amex Gold preapproved/selected question

tag
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Discover and Amex Gold preapproved/selected question

I have been receiving multiple preapproved/preslected offers in mail for Discover More and Amex Gold cards. I used to have Disover and Amex cards about 8 years ago and defaulted on both. why would they keep sending me these mail in offers even though I have burned them in the past? If I apply, will the decline me any way?

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover and Amex Gold preapproved/selected question

There isn't too much harm in applying for the AMEX. If denied for burning them, there is no inquiry, just a NO.

Message 2 of 9
adavis425
Established Contributor

AFAIK, pre-apps are just soft pulls on your CR. Creditors don't know the facts of them until you give them the ok to look. So they may not know just yet that you burned them in the past. All they know is that you have the right profile (score, AAoA, etc.) of a potential cardholder.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 3 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I agree apply for Amex - If "NO" No HP either.

Discover has been mixed lately I feel based on other posts... my friend Bk'd a Discover like 7-8 years ago but did the pre-qual on site and then applied for the offer and was instantly approved for $3k.

Message 4 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Creditaddict wrote:

I agree apply for Amex - If "NO" No HP either.

Discover has been mixed lately I feel based on other posts... my friend Bk'd a Discover like 7-8 years ago but did the pre-qual on site and then applied for the offer and was instantly approved for $3k.

Idk about no HP on declines.  I apped for Amex last month and they HP'd EXP.

Message 5 of 9
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Do you have a cc with amex? I apped 3 months in a row for the SPG and never got a HP all those times i was denied
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 6 of 9
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I believe it is no HP if blacklisted.
Message 7 of 9
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 8 of 9
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Since, I never paid Amex and Discover, I am thinking of just staying away. Those accounts have fallen off my credit reports, why bother applying and then raise questions about the previous accounts etc .  I would love to take advantage of the Discover cash back options, but oh well.

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.