cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover and Amex... Who are they pulling... Who should I app first or should I not bother?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover and Amex... Who are they pulling... Who should I app first or should I not bother?

Hello guys I am looking at two cards

1. Discover More

2. Amex Zync

Here are the questions I have :

1. Which reports do they pull for both? If regional matters for these two I am in Oklahoma.

2. Which one is more inquiry sensitive? That way I know which to apply for first.

3. What are the critical parts of the report to have clean before applying. I.E. utilization, inquiries, etc. What are the deal killers?

I will not apply for another couple of months. I intend to have my utilization down to below 10% with a balance reporting on only 1 or 2 cards which is less than half. At the time I apply depending on which report I will have between 2-5 inquiries. The last inquiry was in May. I am wanting both of these cards as I want to finally get "prime" cards and in the next 12-24 months I am going to open my own business. I want to get my foot in the door with each and start building a good credit relationship so when I open my business I can apply for their business cards and hopefully get approved due to positive history.

I have two chargeoffs from 2007. My last late payment was over 3.5 years ago and it was on the said charge off accounts. I currently have 7 open cards that are current and never late. I have student loans that are always paid never late, and my TU report has an auto loan that is always paid never late. My EQ is at 650 my TU is at 630. I am at about 85% utilization and I will have three cards turn 1 year old before applying so I am hoping with getting the utilization down to below 10% and less than half reporting and then the aging that I will climb into the high 600's before applying. Any advice and help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover and Amex... Who are they pulling... Who should I app first or should I not bother?

AMEX normally pulls EX, but they could pull all three.

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 2 of 8
sgs10
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover and Amex... Who are they pulling... Who should I app first or should I not bother?

Discover pulls transunion usually

Message 3 of 8
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello guys I am looking at two cards

1. Discover More

2. Amex Zync

Here are the questions I have :

1. Which reports do they pull for both? If regional matters for these two I am in Oklahoma.

2. Which one is more inquiry sensitive? That way I know which to apply for first.

3. What are the critical parts of the report to have clean before applying. I.E. utilization, inquiries, etc. What are the deal killers?

I will not apply for another couple of months. I intend to have my utilization down to below 10% with a balance reporting on only 1 or 2 cards which is less than half. At the time I apply depending on which report I will have between 2-5 inquiries. The last inquiry was in May. I am wanting both of these cards as I want to finally get "prime" cards and in the next 12-24 months I am going to open my own business. I want to get my foot in the door with each and start building a good credit relationship so when I open my business I can apply for their business cards and hopefully get approved due to positive history.

I have two chargeoffs from 2007. My last late payment was over 3.5 years ago and it was on the said charge off accounts. I currently have 7 open cards that are current and never late. I have student loans that are always paid never late, and my TU report has an auto loan that is always paid never late. My EQ is at 650 my TU is at 630. I am at about 85% utilization and I will have three cards turn 1 year old before applying so I am hoping with getting the utilization down to below 10% and less than half reporting and then the aging that I will climb into the high 600's before applying. Any advice and help is appreciated.

Of my long-standing creditors:

Discover softs my TU

AMEX and Chase soft my EX

Citi and Chase soft my EQ

Wells Fargo softs my EQ

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK next question. If your Experian report is frozen will AMEX switch gears and pull a different report or will you just get declined?

Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

charge offs and 85% util... these 2 banks might be tough goes on approvals

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The utilization will be less than 10% when I apply and balances on less than half the cards. The charge off I cant get rid of but its 4 years old and I am hoping after reducing my utilization with all of my good tradelines I will be in their range.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i had a closed CO and couldn't get an AMEX for the life of me ... Fell off last month, approved for an Plum Amex today for my business Smiley Happy

They Hard Pulled EX here in TN!

Best of luck!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.