Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover and Inactivity

tag
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Discover and Inactivity

How often (and how much of my CL) do I need to use on my Discover card to keep it from being cancelled or have a CL decrease? I just got a AmEx Everyday Cashback card and I plan on using it as my main card (except for the 5% categories on Discover).  I spend about $500/mo (including a $90 cable bill)...would I be better off transferring my cable bill to my Amex (to get 1% vs. 0.25%) and charging a few dollars a month to my Discover (on my months I don't use the 5% category), or is that not enough?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover and Inactivity

@scientifics wrote:

How often (and how much of my CL) do I need to use on my Discover card to keep it from being cancelled or have a CL decrease? I just got a AmEx Everyday Cashback card and I plan on using it as my main card (except for the 5% categories on Discover).  I spend about $500/mo (including a $90 cable bill)...would I be better off transferring my cable bill to my Amex (to get 1% vs. 0.25%) and charging a few dollars a month to my Discover (on my months I don't use the 5% category), or is that not enough?

IMO a few dollars is more than enough to show activity. Just pay the balance as soon as it hits your account.

Do you have a small monthly recurring charge you could set up to be paid by Discover? For instance my XM radio bill is only about $15 a month and I auto pay this on one of my BoA cards to keep them happy.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 5
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

IMO a few dollars is more than enough to show activity. Just pay the balance as soon as it hits your account.

Do you have a small monthly recurring charge you could set up to be paid by Discover? For instance my XM radio bill is only about $15 a month and I auto pay this on one of my BoA cards to keep them happy.

I don't have any small, recurring monthly charges, and I have a few cards that I won't be using much.  How often do I need to charge a few dollars to keep them active?

Message 3 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@scientifics wrote:

I don't have any small, recurring monthly charges, and I have a few cards that I won't be using much.  How often do I need to charge a few dollars to keep them active?

Every 2-3 months is fine. Once again this is just one man's opinion.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scientifics wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I don't have any small, recurring monthly charges, and I have a few cards that I won't be using much.  How often do I need to charge a few dollars to keep them active?

Have you call and ask Discover yet?

Most of cccs and banks says once in a 6 months, and some told me if there is no activity for a year they will close the acct.  To be sure ~ it is better for you to ask this question to Discover ... IMO

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.