Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 411
Registered: ‎05-01-2010
0

Discover and Inactivity

How often (and how much of my CL) do I need to use on my Discover card to keep it from being cancelled or have a CL decrease? I just got a AmEx Everyday Cashback card and I plan on using it as my main card (except for the 5% categories on Discover).  I spend about $500/mo (including a $90 cable bill)...would I be better off transferring my cable bill to my Amex (to get 1% vs. 0.25%) and charging a few dollars a month to my Discover (on my months I don't use the 5% category), or is that not enough?

Moderator
Posts: 16,574
Registered: ‎07-14-2009
0

Re: Discover and Inactivity


scientifics wrote:

How often (and how much of my CL) do I need to use on my Discover card to keep it from being cancelled or have a CL decrease? I just got a AmEx Everyday Cashback card and I plan on using it as my main card (except for the 5% categories on Discover).  I spend about $500/mo (including a $90 cable bill)...would I be better off transferring my cable bill to my Amex (to get 1% vs. 0.25%) and charging a few dollars a month to my Discover (on my months I don't use the 5% category), or is that not enough?


IMO a few dollars is more than enough to show activity. Just pay the balance as soon as it hits your account.

 

Do you have a small monthly recurring charge you could set up to be paid by Discover? For instance my XM radio bill is only about $15 a month and I auto pay this on one of my BoA cards to keep them happy.

 

 

 

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 411
Registered: ‎05-01-2010
0

Re: Discover and Inactivity


MarineVietvet wrote:

IMO a few dollars is more than enough to show activity. Just pay the balance as soon as it hits your account.

 

Do you have a small monthly recurring charge you could set up to be paid by Discover? For instance my XM radio bill is only about $15 a month and I auto pay this on one of my BoA cards to keep them happy.

 


I don't have any small, recurring monthly charges, and I have a few cards that I won't be using much.  How often do I need to charge a few dollars to keep them active?

Moderator
Posts: 16,574
Registered: ‎07-14-2009
0

Re: Discover and Inactivity


scientifics wrote:
 

I don't have any small, recurring monthly charges, and I have a few cards that I won't be using much.  How often do I need to charge a few dollars to keep them active?


Every 2-3 months is fine. Once again this is just one man's opinion.  :smileyhappy:

 

 

 

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,413
Registered: ‎01-20-2008
0

Re: Discover and Inactivity


scientifics wrote:

MarineVietvet wrote:

IMO a few dollars is more than enough to show activity. Just pay the balance as soon as it hits your account.

 

Do you have a small monthly recurring charge you could set up to be paid by Discover? For instance my XM radio bill is only about $15 a month and I auto pay this on one of my BoA cards to keep them happy.

 


I don't have any small, recurring monthly charges, and I have a few cards that I won't be using much.  How often do I need to charge a few dollars to keep them active?



Have you call and ask Discover yet?

Most of cccs and banks says once in a 6 months, and some told me if there is no activity for a year they will close the acct.  To be sure ~ it is better for you to ask this question to Discover ... IMO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's very tough with small income ~ The Rewards are big little helper to me.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.