Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover and Penfed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover and Penfed

Ugh, this lady called today on behalf of Discover and tried to sell me credit monitoring. I refused twice and she continued her pushy babble for 5 minutes so I hung up and sent off a complaint to Discover. Then I went to Penfed and applied for the Platinum Rewards Visa. I had to verify some information and a couple hours later they approved me for double Discover's limit and better rewards. Take that, Discover. Smiley Happy

Unfortunately I have another savings account now and I was attempting to eliminate a few but I think it will be worth it.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Discover and Penfed

Yeah, I hate that Discover is doing this. Very tacky behavior by an otherwise classy organization.

They've pretty much given up on us by now. After enough "Nope, thanks, bye," they seem to have gotten the message.

edit to add: Oops, congrats on the PenFed! Great card. Since opening the card in late February, we've gotten $135 back on gas, and another $80 on the other stuff. You're going to be happy with them, I think.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 09-13-2008 01:53 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh, are Discover calling customers with their sales pitch as well as badgering you to buy every 'service' under the sun while you're on the phone with them for other reasons? I have to say, for all I've heard about Discover's wonderful customer service, on the three occasions I've had reason to call them so far (two of which calls were just to activate cards), I have NOT appreciated the pushy, scripted sales pitch that's been shoved at me. If I politely say I'm not interested, I'm not interested, ok?!??

I called them the other day, and was on hold to speak to a CSR... then someone picked up the phone and said 'you're over your limit!'

Huh? I've only had the account for a week and used it precisely once, to buy breakfast during that time, and PIF'd that the same day to check that my online payment setup was working ok. So I don't think so! The conversation went as follows:

CSR: You're over you're limit!
Me: Uh... no I'm not...?!
CSR: Yes, you're over your limit, Ms (whatever)
Me: Uhhh... you've got the wrong person. I was just on hold to speak to someone, and then I came through to you...
CSR: Oh. Who am I speaking to, then?
Me: (My name)
CSR: Oh, ok. Well, I'm glad you called! Because I wanted to tell you about (blah blah blah, credit monitoring, yada yada)

... seriously, before asking how she could help me or what I wanted, she was straight onto the sales pitch for the credit monitoring thing. When I said no thanks, because I already monitor my credit reports and get my actual FICO scores through MyFICO she said 'oh... you already have credit monitoring through another bank? May I ask which one?'... sigh.

She did eventually answer the question I was calling about, but not before trying to sell me stuff I didn't want. No idea what happened to the person she originally had on hold, but oh well!

Can't say I was over-impressed by that - and to know they're making unsolicited calls is even more... tacky. They should just mail this info out - you know, like the pre-approval letters they're still sending me (I've now received four Discover More pre-apps since getting my card, but none for any other card at all - I guess I must be firmly in the group that Discover are chasing and trying to sell stuff to right now!!)

Oh... sorry for getting a bit OT from your original point, OP... the point being that you have (or will soon have) a lovely new PenFed card. Congratulations!! Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only got the sales spiel once so far directly after activating my Discover and have otherwise been pretty pleased with their service. If you got a decent CL on PenFed, you'll probably love both cards. Congrats.

Fevmlo, that experience would have turned me off entirely. Especially going into the sales pitch BEFORE even listening to you about what you were calling about.

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 09-14-2008 09:38 AM
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's only the second time they called me. The first person wasn't nearly so pushy or persistent. But usually on activation get a little sales pitches too, where they use the excuse that activation takes a minute. I will say the few times I've called I've been able to deal with someone that speaks English fluently and without a thick accent. I love that part.

I like how the rep immediately forgot about her prior caller and moved onto selling you something Smiley Happy

I've always been satisfied otherwise. I think reading all the posts here opened my eyes to what else is out there, though. That sort of removes the rose colored glasses.
Message 5 of 7
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Discover has tried to sell me something the last couple of times I called. They weren't too pushy, but it's still annoying. I've had the card since early '06, and I don't seem to recall them trying to sell me something until a few months ago.

Citi has also stepped up selling Credit Protector. However, the last guy I talked to a couple of days ago started like "Are you monitoring your credit?" and I just said I am, I have Equifax ID Patrol, and he said "ok, is there anything else I can help you with?" I guess if I have to live through a sales pitch, I'll take that one.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I think it's only the second time they called me. The first person wasn't nearly so pushy or persistent. But usually on activation get a little sales pitches too, where they use the excuse that activation takes a minute. I will say the few times I've called I've been able to deal with someone that speaks English fluently and without a thick accent. I love that part.

I like how the rep immediately forgot about her prior caller and moved onto selling you something Smiley Happy

I've always been satisfied otherwise. I think reading all the posts here opened my eyes to what else is out there, though. That sort of removes the rose colored glasses.

Other than greeting me with the (incorrect) information that I (someone else) was over my credit limit, and then promptly trying to sell me something rather than find out what I wanted, the rep was very polite and friendly and all that - but that conversation was definitely... odd! The bit that got me was the "I'm glad you called because I wanted to tell you about..." - mmm, so sincere! Poor CSRs must be under huge pressure to sell sell sell sell, which doesn't really do anything to improve the customer experience, but oh well! It's so obvious they have scripts that they're supposed to follow no matter what - the second time I called, it was to activate an additional card (as in, another design, not for an AU), and the guy insisted on running through the exact same spiel I'd heard when I called to activate the original one, only a few days before. He kept trying to speed up and make sure he managed to read all of it when he was clearly reading the script for 'brand new accounts that have just been opened' and telling me about all the stuff I'd been told about days previously (and knew about from reading online, too). He was very sweet, but... it's all a bit unnecessary - plus having to go through the sales pitch AGAIN is a bit argh-inducing. If only they'd let you activate cards online... sigh!

Still, don't let it be said that I'm not VERY happy with my new Discover card(s) - 'cos I am! Smiley Very Happy
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.