Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover and Walmart Gas

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Discover and Walmart Gas

@SpecFile wrote:

Don't buy gas at Walmart and expect to get 5% cashback with Discover. Our Walmart has a stand alone gas station and all purchases are coded as Retail/Merchandise and not Gasoline. Discover rep said it's not our fault that Walmart codes it that way (shocker). She advised me to go to another gas station and buy there. Wow, please let me drive across town and spend more per gallon just to get 5% back! No thanks!! For the record, I do understand that Discover is not responsible for the way that retailers code their transactions but it would sure be nice to have Discover send something out stating which gas stations are not covered under the 5% category. They simply told me that it had to be a stand alone gas station. Well folks, the Walmart gas station stands alone right next to the store.

really? you think Discover or any other ccc will send you a list of gas stations that is not coded correctly. ok lets get into the millions ok. so no. its up to you to do homework. but. 5 percent to go a few extra blocks is for sure worth it. we are. even if i go to go 3 extra miles. it would be worth the savings for sure. what 3 extra minutes?. that is really just asking too much for anyone to get them to code something for you.

Message 11 of 14
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@SpecFile wrote:

As I stated before, I know that Discover is not responsible for the way purchases are coded.  I'm just frustrated because I have purchased all of my fuel at Walmart just to find out today that they don't code "gasoline".  

Unfortunately, sometimes it's just trial and error to find coding information out.   And often times, there's no sense to it.  I used my Sony Card at ESPN Zone, thinking it'd be coded "restaurant," like any restaurant would, or maybe even "Bar".   It was coded as "Theatrical Events."    I used my QS1 at a Mexican market/carniceria and that was coded as "Dining."   I would have better off switching those cards for those transactions, but I had no way of knowing that until I made my purchase.   But 20/20 hindsight....now I know for future purchases.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is kinda like how my local Target codes as a grocery store and Walmart codes as merchandise even though they essentially sell the same stuff.

Also, from the 5% signup page (emphasis is mine):

You're signed up to earn 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases in gas (at stand-alone gas stations) and for ground transportation from 01/01/15 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 03/31/15. Ground Transportation is defined as: local and suburban commuter transportation, including ferries; passenger railways; taxicabs, limousines and rental cars; charter/tour bus lines. Ground transportation purchases made through travel agencies or travel aggregator sites are not eligible. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC), virtual wallets or similar technology may not be eligible. Rewards are added to your Cashback Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See Cashback Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for more information about your rewards.

Walmart is, generally speaking, a discount store.  If a Walmart station codes as gas, I'd consider it a bonus (same as I do at the Sam's Club pumps when they code as gas instead of merchandise because they're a warehouse club).  

Message 13 of 14
northface28
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is kinda like how my local Target codes as a grocery store and Walmart codes as merchandise even though they essentially sell the same stuff.

Also, from the 5% signup page (emphasis is mine):

You're signed up to earn 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases in gas (at stand-alone gas stations) and for ground transportation from 01/01/15 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 03/31/15. Ground Transportation is defined as: local and suburban commuter transportation, including ferries; passenger railways; taxicabs, limousines and rental cars; charter/tour bus lines. Ground transportation purchases made through travel agencies or travel aggregator sites are not eligible. Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using Near Field Communication (NFC), virtual wallets or similar technology may not be eligible. Rewards are added to your Cashback Bonus account within 2 billing periods. See Cashback Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for more information about your rewards.

Walmart is, generally speaking, a discount store.  If a Walmart station codes as gas, I'd consider it a bonus (same as I do at the Sam's Club pumps when they code as gas instead of merchandise because they're a warehouse club).  

There you go, he was told.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.