Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover as first card???

tag
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Discover as first card???

Just out of curiosity has anyone ever gotten a Discover card as their first credit card? That applies to either the student version or regular version.

If it hasn't happened to you, have you heard of it happening before?

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover as first card???

Discover was my first card... but that was in 1999. It was student version... sometime or another it became a regular More.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 17
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the response, web! Others??

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Message 3 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

a friend of mine had the college version as his first card at age of 19.

CL was like 700.

To add: He had no prior credit history at all. No other CCs, no auto loans, nothing. Just had a debit card and a checking account.

It was also a lot easier to get an unsecured CC back in 2007 though. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 17
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Seem like its more easy as a student version since Discover consider as PRime land

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 17
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
Just out of curiosity has anyone ever gotten a Discover card as their first credit card? That applies to either the student version or regular version.

If it hasn't happened to you, have you heard of it happening before?

My boyfriend did, after having only a student loan and auto loan reporting. However, it was a counteroffer to whichever card he applied for. Not sure exactly of the terms, but they approved him for an initial limit of $1200. It has since grown to $3000 in a year!

Message 6 of 17
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I appreciate each of you taking the time to answer, but daybreak has exactly the type of info I need!!! Thanks all!

Do you know if your boyfriend had started repayment on the loan at the time or if it was in deferment?

Message 7 of 17
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
I appreciate each of you taking the time to answer, but daybreak has exactly the type of info I need!!! Thanks all!

Do you know if your boyfriend had started repayment on the loan at the time or if it was in deferment?

Both loans were in repayment; I think it's also important to note that he was not a student, nor did he apply for a student card at the time! So the application was completely based on his auto and student loan.

I'm double checking with him, but this looks like his stats when he applied for Discover...not sure what his credit score was!

Ally Financial, auto loan. Opened July 06, 2011, $182 per month. Balance at the time was around $8100.

USDOE, student loan. Opened August 11, 2010. He doesn't remember the exact monthly payment offhand, but it's around $130. Balance at the time was around $1400.

He applied for the Discover around the beginning of May. It was opened May 18th, 2012. Definitely pulled TU, but unconfirmed if they pulled multiple bureaus...the boyfriend doesn't feel like checking his other reports this late Smiley Tongue Have 5 previous inquries on TU, unsure of age of them at time of application but I assume fairly recent since those same inquires have not dropped off yet. Only score that was known at time of application was CK, at 657.

Hope that helped snacktrader!

Message 8 of 17
eagles08
Regular Contributor

My girlfriends first card was the new Discover IT!!! She's a student so idk if that helped but yeah. $1,000 limit which is a great start!!
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 9 of 17
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

That's a huge help, daybreak! Thank you and your boyfriend for being so willing to share!

I'm thinking that the presence of good debt repayment on the student and auto loans helped him just as they helped me when I was applying for my first card. Unfortunately, not all of my younger family members are so lucky as they generally have student loans in deferment and no auto loans. But since they are all students, maybe that changes things.

Something I should have stated earlier in this thread is that I am basically attempting to identify the best rewards card to fit credit newbies based on their spending habits and chances of approval. Sure, they could get a secured BoA and add rewards, but it would be excellent if I could identify a situation where they could obtain a Freedom, Forward, Discover, etc.

The difficulty is that I see many people getting student cards who already have store/secured cards on their reports, and many people who don't have that characteristic getting declined. So I'm trying to find the outliers, but MyFico searches were rather cumbersome.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.