Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover asking for co-applicant

tag
dude11
Regular Contributor

Discover asking for co-applicant

Hello everyone, I applied to a Discover More card and just called in to find out about my app status. I was told that they would want a co-applicant to further process my app. Does anyone have any experience with this? To me sounds like as long as the co-applicant has good credit you I may be approved, but I'm sure it may not always be the case.

I was also told as long as the card was kept in good standing the co-applicant would be released after a certain amount of time. How long did this take or has it happened for you?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ssp
Valued Member

Re: Discover asking for co-applicant

I can't offer any information on this but I would sure love to know more about itSmiley Happy

TU 792 EQ 782
*In The Garden*

Message 2 of 9
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Honestly I would wait till my credit picture is better say give it 6 mos to a year then see where you stand. Co applicants on a CC can usually end in a disaster
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too would wait. My friend applied and they told her she needed a co-applicant. Needless to say she did not go forward with that.
Message 4 of 9
dude11
Regular Contributor

Ok I thought I'd give you all an update on this. So I know some or most of you would probably not have gone with the co-applicant option. However, I did.

So I talked to my sister in regards to applying as the co-applicant because I really needed some new tires for my car and did not have the money or credit for the purchase. She agreed under the terms that it was going to be only for this purchase and nothing else. She did not have any intention to use the card or account at all. She was only applying to help me get the card.

We called Discover and told them we wanted to add a co-applicant. After putting us on hold and them checking my sister's credit they came back and we were approved for $1,000 limit. Her credit score was somewhere in the low mid 700s and they pulled TU on her. On me they pulled EQ which has the most inquiries and I believe my lowest score. It was somewhere in the low-mid 600s I believe.

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 9
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

@dude11 wrote:

Ok I thought I'd give you all an update on this. So I know some or most of you would probably not have gone with the co-applicant option. However, I did.

So I talked to my sister in regards to applying as the co-applicant because I really needed some new tires for my car and did not have the money or credit for the purchase. She agreed under the terms that it was going to be only for this purchase and nothing else. She did not have any intention to use the card or account at all. She was only applying to help me get the card.

We called Discover and told them we wanted to add a co-applicant. After putting us on hold and them checking my sister's credit they came back and we were approved for $1,000 limit. Her credit score was somewhere in the low mid 700s and they pulled TU on her. On me they pulled EQ which has the most inquiries and I believe my lowest score. It was somewhere in the low-mid 600s I believe.

Hope this helps.

Are you over 21? That's a little insulting, it's like saying 'we need your mommy's permission'.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 6 of 9
dude11
Regular Contributor

Yes 25. Only reason I did it was because I could not get a card anywhere else or the money.

Message 7 of 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@HenryJumbo wrote:

Are you over 21? That's a little insulting, it's like saying 'we need your mommy's permission'.

You can be over 40 and be still asked for co-applicant if your credit report is no good. Being asked for co-applicant means your credit report is in a bad shape.

@OP

Using credit card to buy tires which you could not afford is a bad idea. Really bad idea. Borrowing money from relatives then repay it back is a much better option.

Message 8 of 9
dude11
Regular Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@HenryJumbo wrote:

You can be over 40 and be still asked for co-applicant if your credit report is no good. Being asked for co-applicant means your credit report is in a bad shape.

@OP

Using credit card to buy tires which you could not afford is a bad idea. Really bad idea. Borrowing money from relatives then repay it back is a much better option.

0% interest for first 12 months. Will have it paid off before end of the first 12 months. I also had to purchase new wheels. According to the shop my steelies were warped and bent. The car did shake at high speeds. After new set of tires and wheels car feels almost like new again. If it weren't for the 0% I wouldn't of applied in the first place.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.