cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover bal. transfer offer experiences.

tag
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Re: Discover bal. transfer offer experiences.

Took 7 days for mine to go through but no problems at all. I did 4.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a rule, if you pay it off with equal payments, the APR with 0% BT should be 2x the 0% APR's BT fee for an equal deal. That's because the BT fee is applied to the entire balance and paid up front, while interest is applied to the monthly declining balance and paid over time. If one has a longer period, like 18 months instead of 12, even better.

Your offer under those circumstances is better than a 12 month 0% apr 3% bt offer. But if you plan to carry the full balance until the end, then the 0% can be better.

Also be aware that carrying a balance voids your grace period. Purchases will begin accruing interest as soon as they post. So I don't recommend swiping the card while carrying the BT.
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ouch, the grace period voiding hurts a lot.

Though since I'm still at 0% APR for my account being less than a year old, this wouldn't affect me right? Discover is the card I use the most right now while I have the double cash back active.

Message 13 of 23
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ouch, the grace period voiding hurts a lot.

Though since I'm still at 0% APR for my account being less than a year old, this wouldn't affect me right? Discover is the card I use the most right now while I have the double cash back active.

Correct. When you have both a 0% APR Purchases offer and a 0% BT going on (or low APR BT) then new purchases are not affected, do not pick up interest cost.

When does your 0% Purchases APR expire?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I be honest I kinda forgot about the grace period. It's definitely one downside to a bal transfer. But if your transferring from another acct carrying bal it's a non-issue. My normal APR is low (for discover)11.24%, and with the upcoming quarter being restaurants and movies...lets just say I don't get out much I'm still doing better. This transfer will eliminate all my current bal so I can focus more on discover...plan on paying off around $1.5k the first mo this leave me with about $2.5k to pay off in the next few mo barring any unforeseen events.
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct. When you have both a 0% APR Purchases offer and a 0% BT going on (or low APR BT) then new purchases are not affected, do not pick up interest cost.

When does your 0% Purchases APR expire?

I'm not sure, I looked at my statement, it shows I'm still at 0% but it doesn't say for how long. I can't remember how long the 0% APR was when I signed up. How can I figure this out? 

Having no grace period & paying full APR on purchases would be painful enough to stop me from taking advantage of this. I'm eyeing up the 0% fee 4.99% APR.

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I know the 0% promo expiration doesn't show on the acct anywhere...give them a call they can tell you.
Message 17 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Just a data point, after I submitted my balance transfer back in October, a couple of days later my account was frozen due to a fraud block - I couldn't even log on to the app.  To their credit, they both sent me an email and left a VM for me to call them. 

I was transfered a couple of times, and finally reached a person in security who was markedly less 'cheerful' than the usual Discover CSR.  After a few questions verifying my ID everything was fine, but I had to submit the balance transfer again from scratch (they offered to do it for me on the spot over the phone, but I wasn't prepared with the other account number and mailing address).  They did volunteer that it was the balance transfer request that prompted the block.

It wasn't a huge inconvenience, but had I found my card blocked while attempting to make a purchase I would have been rather annoyed.  I understand the need for security, but their action seemed slightly aggressive, especially since the transaction that prompted the block wasn't 'real time' (it could be easily stopped - as they demonstrated).

I've not had a fraud issue since, FWIW.

Note:  I know many folks will say having a card blocked is perfectly fine, that they appreciate the security... I'm not posting to debate that - I'm only providing a data point for the OP and others, so they can be aware of what my experience was.  Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's interesting uncleB. Was there anything unique about your transfer...was it a large amount or something? I would think a small transfer using their offer to the same acct I already use to pay discover wouldn't raise any flags. Guess I'll be prepared just in case.
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally 5-6 days to fully post; I'd say closer to 5 or 6 days because the transfer seems to sit in pending for a couple of days.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.