Reply
Established Contributor
chwebb1
Posts: 508
Registered: ‎10-11-2013
0

Discover being hormonal this month?

Is anyone else having issues with Discover cutting off your card for "suspicious activity" this month? They've sent me the "suspicious activity" twice this month, and I've had to log in to confirm transactions. There were no issues with any of the transactions. Does anyone know what causes them to decide to cut off your card? I've never heard from Amex or Citi, and I put a lot more spending/transactions through their cards, so it seems odd to me that Discover would be the one being hormonal of all of my creditors.

 photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo ScreenShot2013-10-12at111542PM.png photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo 8BEB_SIGNATURE_VISA_CASH_REWARDS_190x124.jpg photo HNY2HNY2.png photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png photo SLM2SLM2.png
$5000 ............ $4300 ............ $4000 ............ $2750 ............ $2500 ............ $1000 ............ $1000 ............ $1000
In the Garden until at least January 2015 (hopefully).
Established Contributor
swpopham
Posts: 543
Registered: ‎06-02-2012
0

Re: Discover being hormonal this month?

Just getting used to you and or have had fraud reported at the same vendors. Carry on
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Valued Contributor
FinStar
Posts: 5,156
Registered: ‎10-21-2012
0

Re: Discover being hormonal this month?

[ Edited ]

chwebb1 wrote:

Is anyone else having issues with Discover cutting off your card for "suspicious activity" this month? They've sent me the "suspicious activity" twice this month, and I've had to log in to confirm transactions. There were no issues with any of the transactions. Does anyone know what causes them to decide to cut off your card? I've never heard from Amex or Citi, and I put a lot more spending/transactions through their cards, so it seems odd to me that Discover would be the one being hormonal of all of my creditors.


Sounds like "hormonal" is your choice word of the evening (based on your other post).

 

I've used my Discover card daily without any issues or any transactions being flagged.  Are you using the card in establishments prone to being "hormonal", errr... I mean "risky" or questionable?  Have you engaged Discover to see if their risk or security team can offer any guidance as to why certain transactions trigger these "suspicious activity" flags?  How old is your card?

Established Contributor
chwebb1
Posts: 508
Registered: ‎10-11-2013
0

Re: Discover being hormonal this month?


FinStar wrote:

chwebb1 wrote:

Is anyone else having issues with Discover cutting off your card for "suspicious activity" this month? They've sent me the "suspicious activity" twice this month, and I've had to log in to confirm transactions. There were no issues with any of the transactions. Does anyone know what causes them to decide to cut off your card? I've never heard from Amex or Citi, and I put a lot more spending/transactions through their cards, so it seems odd to me that Discover would be the one being hormonal of all of my creditors.


Sounds like "hormonal" is your choice word of the evening (based on your other post).

 

I've used my Discover card daily without any issues or any transactions being flagged.  Are you using the card in establishments prone to being "hormonal", errr... I mean "risky" or questionable?  Have you engaged Discover to see if their risk or security team can offer any guidance as to why certain transactions trigger these "suspicious activity" flags?  How old is your card?


My card is around 3 months old now. I chatted with them the only thing they would tell me is if you shop online or shop outside of your normal area, it might trigger an alert on your account. I feel like almost everyone shops online and/or travels, so I'm not sure how helpful that information is. Especially since it's 5% back on online shopping this quarter, so I'm sure almost everyone shops online this quarter with their Discover.

 photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo ScreenShot2013-10-12at111542PM.png photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo 8BEB_SIGNATURE_VISA_CASH_REWARDS_190x124.jpg photo HNY2HNY2.png photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png photo SLM2SLM2.png
$5000 ............ $4300 ............ $4000 ............ $2750 ............ $2500 ............ $1000 ............ $1000 ............ $1000
In the Garden until at least January 2015 (hopefully).
Established Member
Satellite5
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎10-23-2012
0

Re: Discover being hormonal this month?

[ Edited ]

chwebb1 wrote:

Is anyone else having issues with Discover cutting off your card for "suspicious activity" this month? They've sent me the "suspicious activity" twice this month, and I've had to log in to confirm transactions. There were no issues with any of the transactions. Does anyone know what causes them to decide to cut off your card? I've never heard from Amex or Citi, and I put a lot more spending/transactions through their cards, so it seems odd to me that Discover would be the one being hormonal of all of my creditors.


Out of curiosity, did you use your Discover card during the period when Target had that security breach?

 

Maybe they're keeping a closer eye on accounts that might be compromised. I know Chase lowered daily limits for their debit cards. Could be Discover is following suit?

Starting Score: 735 (EQ) / 777 (TU)Oct. 2012
Current Score: 752 (EQ) / 770 (TU)Aug. 2014
Goal Score: 800
App free since 19.11.2013. \o/
Established Contributor
chwebb1
Posts: 508
Registered: ‎10-11-2013
0

Re: Discover being hormonal this month?

I didn't use my Discover at Target during the breach. It might be interesting to find out if it has to do with the breach, though. Maybe they're keeping an eye on everyone's account?

 photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo ScreenShot2013-10-12at111542PM.png photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo 8BEB_SIGNATURE_VISA_CASH_REWARDS_190x124.jpg photo HNY2HNY2.png photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png photo SLM2SLM2.png
$5000 ............ $4300 ............ $4000 ............ $2750 ............ $2500 ............ $1000 ............ $1000 ............ $1000
In the Garden until at least January 2015 (hopefully).
Moderator
09Lexie
Posts: 24,903
Registered: ‎09-13-2012
0

Re: Discover being hormonal this month?

[ Edited ]

Not for me.  Christmas Eve I charged a single transaction for $2k and they didn't say a word. 

 

To  add, I was over 100 miles from home 

Valued Contributor
FinStar
Posts: 5,156
Registered: ‎10-21-2012
0

Re: Discover being hormonal this month?


09Lexie wrote:

Not for me.  Christmas Eve I charged a single transaction for $2k and they didn't say a word. 

 

To  add, I was over 100 miles from home 


So, in other words Lexie, your Discover card did not act "hormonal" right?  LOL

Established Contributor
chwebb1
Posts: 508
Registered: ‎10-11-2013
0

Re: Discover being hormonal this month?

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Discover hates me. They wouldn't CLI me at 3 months, and they keep shutting off my card. Maybe I need to whisper sweet-nothings to my Discover card?

 photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo ScreenShot2013-10-12at111542PM.png photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo 8BEB_SIGNATURE_VISA_CASH_REWARDS_190x124.jpg photo HNY2HNY2.png photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png photo SLM2SLM2.png
$5000 ............ $4300 ............ $4000 ............ $2750 ............ $2500 ............ $1000 ............ $1000 ............ $1000
In the Garden until at least January 2015 (hopefully).
Established Contributor
grinlikechelsea
Posts: 734
Registered: ‎04-28-2013
0

Re: Discover being hormonal this month?


FinStar wrote:

09Lexie wrote:

Not for me.  Christmas Eve I charged a single transaction for $2k and they didn't say a word. 

 

To  add, I was over 100 miles from home 


So, in other words Lexie, your Discover card did not act "hormonal" right?  LOL


Mine flew into a PMS rage when I last used it, however. :smileytongue:

 

Actually, Discover has locked up my card this week for suspicious activity (used on Amazon for $157). It didn't bother me. I actually thought it was nice that they were keeping an eye out on my account.




myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+