Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover being hormonal this month?

tag
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Discover being hormonal this month?

Is anyone else having issues with Discover cutting off your card for "suspicious activity" this month? They've sent me the "suspicious activity" twice this month, and I've had to log in to confirm transactions. There were no issues with any of the transactions. Does anyone know what causes them to decide to cut off your card? I've never heard from Amex or Citi, and I put a lot more spending/transactions through their cards, so it seems odd to me that Discover would be the one being hormonal of all of my creditors.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
swpopham
Established Contributor

Re: Discover being hormonal this month?

Just getting used to you and or have had fraud reported at the same vendors. Carry on
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 2 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@chwebb1 wrote:

Is anyone else having issues with Discover cutting off your card for "suspicious activity" this month? They've sent me the "suspicious activity" twice this month, and I've had to log in to confirm transactions. There were no issues with any of the transactions. Does anyone know what causes them to decide to cut off your card? I've never heard from Amex or Citi, and I put a lot more spending/transactions through their cards, so it seems odd to me that Discover would be the one being hormonal of all of my creditors.

Sounds like "hormonal" is your choice word of the evening (based on your other post).

I've used my Discover card daily without any issues or any transactions being flagged.  Are you using the card in establishments prone to being "hormonal", errr... I mean "risky" or questionable?  Have you engaged Discover to see if their risk or security team can offer any guidance as to why certain transactions trigger these "suspicious activity" flags?  How old is your card?

Message 3 of 21
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

Sounds like "hormonal" is your choice word of the evening (based on your other post).

I've used my Discover card daily without any issues or any transactions being flagged.  Are you using the card in establishments prone to being "hormonal", errr... I mean "risky" or questionable?  Have you engaged Discover to see if their risk or security team can offer any guidance as to why certain transactions trigger these "suspicious activity" flags?  How old is your card?

My card is around 3 months old now. I chatted with them the only thing they would tell me is if you shop online or shop outside of your normal area, it might trigger an alert on your account. I feel like almost everyone shops online and/or travels, so I'm not sure how helpful that information is. Especially since it's 5% back on online shopping this quarter, so I'm sure almost everyone shops online this quarter with their Discover.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
Message 4 of 21
Satellite5
Established Member

@chwebb1 wrote:

Out of curiosity, did you use your Discover card during the period when Target had that security breach?

Maybe they're keeping a closer eye on accounts that might be compromised. I know Chase lowered daily limits for their debit cards. Could be Discover is following suit?

Starting Score: 735 (EQ) / 777 (TU)Oct. 2012
Current Score: 761 (EQ) / 752 (TU)Aug. 2014
Goal Score: 800
App free since 19.11.2013. \o/
Message 5 of 21
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I didn't use my Discover at Target during the breach. It might be interesting to find out if it has to do with the breach, though. Maybe they're keeping an eye on everyone's account?

Message 6 of 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Not for me.  Christmas Eve I charged a single transaction for $2k and they didn't say a word. 

To  add, I was over 100 miles from home 

Message 7 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

Not for me.  Christmas Eve I charged a single transaction for $2k and they didn't say a word. 

So, in other words Lexie, your Discover card did not act "hormonal" right?  LOL

Message 8 of 21
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Discover hates me. They wouldn't CLI me at 3 months, and they keep shutting off my card. Maybe I need to whisper sweet-nothings to my Discover card?

Message 9 of 21
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

So, in other words Lexie, your Discover card did not act "hormonal" right?  LOL

Mine flew into a PMS rage when I last used it, however. Smiley Tongue

Actually, Discover has locked up my card this week for suspicious activity (used on Amazon for $157). It didn't bother me. I actually thought it was nice that they were keeping an eye out on my account.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.