Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover called with a CLI

tag
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Discover called with a CLI

After turning me down for a CLI last month, Discover called today and took my information.  Using a soft pull they gave me a CLI from $6500 to $8000. Yipee!

I had read about this happening to other people, but now it was me.  I feel much better. I was kind of disappointed they turned me down in the first place.

I am doing a refi on the house, so I asked twice: I am only interested if it will be a soft pull.  I do not want a hard pull because of the refinance. Will this be a soft pull? Are you sure?  LOL.  

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover called with a CLI

Very similar to what happened to me.

It is nice when it happens.

I wonder why they turned you down the fist time only weeks later to ok it.

Strange

Message 2 of 7
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I was told if a cli gets denied, they fwd it to the manual review department...maybe that is why?
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 7
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

After turning me down for a CLI last month, Discover called today and took my information.  Using a soft pull they gave me a CLI from $6500 to $8000. Yipee!

I had read about this happening to other people, but now it was me.  I feel much better. I was kind of disappointed they turned me down in the first place.

I am doing a refi on the house, so I asked twice: I am only interested if it will be a soft pull.  I do not want a hard pull because of the refinance. Will this be a soft pull? Are you sure?  LOL.  

Have you logged on to see if it went through?

I assume you took the proper precautions when they called you.

I would not give personal info to someone that called me, I would tell them I'll call the # on the back of the card, and what extension can I reach them at? Someone could easily get CL info if they got a hold of a credit report, and go phishing for the rest of the missing info.

Anyways congrats on the CLI, they have hooked me up with soft pull CLIs every 6 months a few times now.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@LTomBerry wrote:

@crunching_numbers wrote:

Have you logged on to see if it went through?

I assume you took the proper precautions when they called you.

I would not give personal info to someone that called me, I would tell them I'll call the # on the back of the card, and what extension can I reach them at? Someone could easily get CL info if they got a hold of a credit report, and go phishing for the rest of the missing info.

Anyways congrats on the CLI, they have hooked me up with soft pull CLIs every 6 months a few times now.

Oh, it is there. They actually left a VM on my answering machine.The message was that they needed to speak with me regarding some recent correspondence from Discover and to call back the toll free number.  They called two days in a row, and I thought maybe it was someting bad, so called back.   I am very leary of giving away information over the phone, and I am glad you are reminding people about the dangers.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 5 of 7
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 6 of 7
FrugalRican
Blogger

Luck smiles upon you.

I wish they'd call me! Did you refer them to me!?

Congrats!

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.