Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card Cash advances?

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Discover card Cash advances?

Has anyone used this feature before? I have a card and was interested in using it for a cash advance but I wasn't sure if there were any fees involved with an atm transaction...

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover card Cash advances?

If you must, do it as "cashback" at a shop. Sometimes when you swipe they ask if you would like cashback. According to Discover, this saves you a trip to the bank to get cash. They count it as a purchase so no cash advance fees.

Message 2 of 19
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

I did at a SHAWS as cashback only for $10 just to see what it showed up as in my stament. Wouldnt do it at a atm tho.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 3 of 19
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

If you must, do it as "cashback" at a shop. Sometimes when you swipe they ask if you would like cashback. According to Discover, this saves you a trip to the bank to get cash. They count it as a purchase so no cash advance fees.

Thanks! I was concerned about the cut limit tho. I know a lot of stores highest cash back allowance is usually around 60 to 80 bucks. I just didn't want to hit any atm fees and I didn't want to be charged standard APR when I'm in a 15 month 0% APR promotion... *sighs*

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 4 of 19
firesoul453
Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Thanks! I was concerned about the cut limit tho. I know a lot of stores highest cash back allowance is usually around 60 to 80 bucks. I just didn't want to hit any atm fees and I didn't want to be charged standard APR when I'm in a 15 month 0% APR promotion... *sighs*

Ya your fine. Not sure how much you can get at a register, but sure beats the expensive cash advnace fees of an atm withdraw, never used it but definetly nice to have.

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 5 of 19
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

most you can get in a day is 120, have to do 2 seperate purchases though max per ring up is 60.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, have you considered Discover's money messenger feature? If you have a PayPal account linked to a personal checking account, you can send money to yourself, as long as you are eligible to use this feature. To see if you are, click on "Send Money" at the top of your Discover site.

Message 7 of 19
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, have you considered Discover's money messenger feature? If you have a PayPal account linked to a personal checking account, you can send money to yourself, as long as you are eligible to use this feature. To see if you are, click on "Send Money" at the top of your Discover site.

You cannot send money to yourself with Money Messenger. It is against the terms of service.

You can send it to someone else who can then withdraw it and hand it to you.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh really? Thanks for the clarification. Then in that case, if you have a nice friend/relative who would be willing to help you out, you could always send money to them.

Message 9 of 19
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh really? Thanks for the clarification. Then in that case, if you have a nice friend/relative who would be willing to help you out, you could always send money to them.

I've been doing it for a few months now to generate rewards. It's risky though. Honestly I would expect PayPal to shut you down for suspicious behavior before Discover would do anything about it.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.