jdsteel731

Re: Discover card Cash advances?

Oh yeah, because you get CB because the transfers are considered purchases huh? I can see where you're coming from though, PayPal may become suspicious if they see $200~$1000 of transfers from the same individual every month, lol.

Senior Contributor
jsucool76

I wouldn't recommend doing that, as it against the T&Cs of your card, and, I don't think stuff like that should be talked about on the forums because it usually gets a thread locked. 

Although, I didn't know you could get "Cash Back" at a store with a credit card (with the exception of things like the walmart credit card @ walmart). The only way I could think of would be to run it as a debit and put in your PIN, but I didn't know you could do that either, and if you did, wouldn't discover realize it since it is a PIN based transaction and automatically put it on your statement as a cash advance? Which would then result in you being charged a cash advance fee...

Frequent Contributor
SwampSystems

jsucool76 wrote:

I wouldn't recommend doing that, as it against the T&Cs of your card, and, I don't think stuff like that should be talked about on the forums because it usually gets a thread locked. 

Actually, I called them twice before I started doing it and asked very specifically if it was against the terms and conditions. They said that as long as I am not sending the money to myself, it is not against the terms and conditions. So I send it to someone else who then withdraws it and hands it to me. I have reason to be sending that person money anyway, so there is plausible deniability if they ever decide to question it.

jsucool76 wrote:

Although, I didn't know you could get "Cash Back" at a store with a credit card (with the exception of things like the walmart credit card @ walmart). The only way I could think of would be to run it as a debit and put in your PIN, but I didn't know you could do that either, and if you did, wouldn't discover realize it since it is a PIN based transaction and automatically put it on your statement as a cash advance? Which would then result in you being charged a cash advance fee...

It's called Cash Over Purchases and is supported at select retailers. I do not know if Cash Over generates rewards.

Frequent Contributor
AF_23

SwampSystems wrote:

jdsteel731 wrote:

Oh really? Thanks for the clarification. Then in that case, if you have a nice friend/relative who would be willing to help you out, you could always send money to them.

I've been doing it for a few months now to generate rewards. It's risky though. Honestly I would expect PayPal to shut you down for suspicious behavior before Discover would do anything about it.

Be thankful they're not like AmEx lol. F/R would follow immediatly

Senior Contributor
jsucool76

SwampSystems wrote:

jsucool76 wrote:

Actually, I called them twice before I started doing it and asked very specifically if it was against the terms and conditions. They said that as long as I am not sending the money to myself, it is not against the terms and conditions. So I send it to someone else who then withdraws it and hands it to me. I have reason to be sending that person money anyway, so there is plausible deniability if they ever decide to question it.

jsucool76 wrote:

It's called Cash Over Purchases and is supported at select retailers. I do not know if Cash Over generates rewards.

I meant specifically sending it to yourself :smileytongue: If you're not doing that then it's all good :smileytongue: 

Valued Contributor
maiden_girl

SwampSystems wrote:

jsucool76 wrote:

jsucool76 wrote:

Yea, I looked up the cash over thing via Discover and its not supported by all retailers...not like Target or anything. I noticed it was just grocery stores on the list. Anyway I'm not sure if a cash over purchase is treated as a cash advance. LOL. I've never used a cash advance...its confusing!

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)

Senior Contributor
jsucool76

maiden_girl wrote:

SwampSystems wrote:

jsucool76 wrote:

jsucool76 wrote:

Yea, I looked up the cash over thing via Discover and its not supported by all retailers...not like Target or anything. I noticed it was just grocery stores on the list. Anyway I'm not sure if a cash over purchase is treated as a cash advance. LOL. I've never used a cash advance...its confusing!

It says at the bottom under the "FAQ" that there is no fee, it isn't considered a cash advance, and it shows up as part of your purchase. 

Valued Contributor
maiden_girl

jsucool76 wrote:

maiden_girl wrote:

SwampSystems wrote:

jsucool76 wrote:

jsucool76 wrote:

It says at the bottom under the "FAQ" that there is no fee, it isn't considered a cash advance, and it shows up as part of your purchase. 

Thanks. I was on the site for about 15 minutes this morning trying to find that...smh

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)

Established Contributor
migliogiorni

it's a really cool feature I like it and have used it twice.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}