Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card Cash advances?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover card Cash advances?

Oh yeah, because you get CB because the transfers are considered purchases huh? I can see where you're coming from though, PayPal may become suspicious if they see $200~$1000 of transfers from the same individual every month, lol.

Message 11 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I wouldn't recommend doing that, as it against the T&Cs of your card, and, I don't think stuff like that should be talked about on the forums because it usually gets a thread locked. 

Although, I didn't know you could get "Cash Back" at a store with a credit card (with the exception of things like the walmart credit card @ walmart). The only way I could think of would be to run it as a debit and put in your PIN, but I didn't know you could do that either, and if you did, wouldn't discover realize it since it is a PIN based transaction and automatically put it on your statement as a cash advance? Which would then result in you being charged a cash advance fee...

Message 12 of 19
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

I wouldn't recommend doing that, as it against the T&Cs of your card, and, I don't think stuff like that should be talked about on the forums because it usually gets a thread locked. 

Actually, I called them twice before I started doing it and asked very specifically if it was against the terms and conditions. They said that as long as I am not sending the money to myself, it is not against the terms and conditions. So I send it to someone else who then withdraws it and hands it to me. I have reason to be sending that person money anyway, so there is plausible deniability if they ever decide to question it.

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Although, I didn't know you could get "Cash Back" at a store with a credit card (with the exception of things like the walmart credit card @ walmart). The only way I could think of would be to run it as a debit and put in your PIN, but I didn't know you could do that either, and if you did, wouldn't discover realize it since it is a PIN based transaction and automatically put it on your statement as a cash advance? Which would then result in you being charged a cash advance fee...

It's called Cash Over Purchases and is supported at select retailers. I do not know if Cash Over generates rewards.

Message 13 of 19
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh really? Thanks for the clarification. Then in that case, if you have a nice friend/relative who would be willing to help you out, you could always send money to them.

I've been doing it for a few months now to generate rewards. It's risky though. Honestly I would expect PayPal to shut you down for suspicious behavior before Discover would do anything about it.

Be thankful they're not like AmEx lol. F/R would follow immediatly

Message 14 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Actually, I called them twice before I started doing it and asked very specifically if it was against the terms and conditions. They said that as long as I am not sending the money to myself, it is not against the terms and conditions. So I send it to someone else who then withdraws it and hands it to me. I have reason to be sending that person money anyway, so there is plausible deniability if they ever decide to question it.

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Although, I didn't know you could get "Cash Back" at a store with a credit card (with the exception of things like the walmart credit card @ walmart). The only way I could think of would be to run it as a debit and put in your PIN, but I didn't know you could do that either, and if you did, wouldn't discover realize it since it is a PIN based transaction and automatically put it on your statement as a cash advance? Which would then result in you being charged a cash advance fee...

It's called Cash Over Purchases and is supported at select retailers. I do not know if Cash Over generates rewards.

I meant specifically sending it to yourself Smiley Tongue If you're not doing that then it's all good Smiley Tongue 

Message 15 of 19
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Yea, I looked up the cash over thing via Discover and its not supported by all retailers...not like Target or anything. I noticed it was just grocery stores on the list. Anyway I'm not sure if a cash over purchase is treated as a cash advance. LOL. I've never used a cash advance...its confusing!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 16 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

@SwampSystems wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Yea, I looked up the cash over thing via Discover and its not supported by all retailers...not like Target or anything. I noticed it was just grocery stores on the list. Anyway I'm not sure if a cash over purchase is treated as a cash advance. LOL. I've never used a cash advance...its confusing!

It says at the bottom under the "FAQ" that there is no fee, it isn't considered a cash advance, and it shows up as part of your purchase. 

Message 17 of 19
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

@SwampSystems wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

It says at the bottom under the "FAQ" that there is no fee, it isn't considered a cash advance, and it shows up as part of your purchase. 

Thanks. I was on the site for about 15 minutes this morning trying to find that...smh

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 18 of 19
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

it's a really cool feature I like it and have used it twice.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.