Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card IT :What now ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover card IT :What now ?

The OP is obviously new to the forum, and possibly (probably) new to understanding credit.  I know that before I knew much about credit that if I was paying 2X+ the minimum payment on a CC I thought I was doing pretty well.  I don't really think it's fair to bash the "new guy" that simply isn't in the know as much as some of the rest of us.  It's our job to get him in the know, and certainly his goal to get there as well.

Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I know Amex likes PIF but for the life of me if thats all you want should just stay with charge cards( Amex that is). Not everyone can or will pay back after a purchase. Thats why its called a revolver you should be able to carry a balance if you want to. I know this is frowned upon here and it probably does help to get better clis with them making multiple payments, its just i feel a person shouldnt be penalized for revolving. And if you are doubling your min payment its still better than only paying the minimum. Imho.

I can understand your perspective here, and I think for small periods of time (a few months) this can make sense.  However, anyone that carries a balance (a significant one) for more than a couple of months is doing so more than likely because they HAVE to... not because they want to.  No one wants to pay unnecessary interest.  That said, if someone is carrying a significant balance, and we can infer from them doing it for a length of time (and paying interest on it) that they are carrying it because they have to, it simply doesn't make sense from the creditor point of view to extend further credit to them.  That's how I see it, and I assume how they see it as well.

Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

AverageJoesCredit, BrutalBodyShots & Baller4Life Making It All Good! 

Smiley Happy 

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I know Amex likes PIF but for the life of me if thats all you want should just stay with charge cards( Amex that is). Not everyone can or will pay back after a purchase. Thats why its called a revolver you should be able to carry a balance if you want to. I know this is frowned upon here and it probably does help to get better clis with them making multiple payments, its just i feel a person shouldnt be penalized for revolving. And if you are doubling your min payment its still better than only paying the minimum. Imho.

I can understand your perspective here, and I think for small periods of time (a few months) this can make sense.  However, anyone that carries a balance (a significant one) for more than a couple of months is doing so more than likely because they HAVE to... not because they want to.  No one wants to pay unnecessary interest.  That said, if someone is carrying a significant balance, and we can infer from them doing it for a length of time (and paying interest on it) that they are carrying it because they have to, it simply doesn't make sense from the creditor point of view to extend further credit to them.  That's how I see it, and I assume how they see it as well.

That's exactly right - they think you can't afford to pay off what you've already spent so giving a credit limit increase is a risk.

Carrying a high balance for a long time also runs you the risk of CLD and closure with many lenders. You just hit their risk algorithms the wrong way when you slow pay.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.