Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card IT :What now ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover card IT :What now ?

Question looking for advice or what you would do . So I just got a new Discover card with a 7,500 limit with and 18 month 0 interest on balance transfers . So my question is ,I have a Capital One card with about 1,300/2150 in debt and a EX 2100/3000 debt . So i'm thinking to transfer the balances of those card to the one Discover ? What do you guys think to maximize my credit scores .  TU 720 EX 718 EQ 739 That would leave two card zero balance and only one car carrying a balance . Debt to credit ratio would be lowered to an 10-15 % of cerdit  usage . Currently at 40-43% of cerdit usage .

Note: I asked for a CL increase from AMEX and they denied it . Do to slow payment is what they said . But I pay double the amount due monthly .

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover card IT :What now ?

Wait. Are you suggesting that paying double the min payment is NOT slow payment???
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol.  Amex likes PIF.  but yes, do the balance transfers.  obvioiusly thats the best sceneario in yor siutation.

Message 3 of 24
silkysean
Regular Contributor

I would do the transfer and that way no interest charged on your balances plus you will have only one payment to make and can get the balances down with one bigger payment and like you said lower your overall Utilization.Id rather have a bigger balance on a 0% interest card and pay it down  

Message 4 of 24
baller4life
Super Contributor

@silkysean wrote:

I would do the transfer and that way no interest charged on your balances plus you will have only one payment to make and can get the balances down with one bigger payment and like you said lower your overall Utilization.Id rather have a bigger balance on a 0% interest card and pay it down  

+1

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I would .  And You ?

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Question looking for advice or what you would do . So I just got a new Discover card with a 7,500 limit with and 18 month 0 interest on balance transfers . So my question is ,I have a Capital One card with about 1,300/2150 in debt and a EX 2100/3000 debt . So i'm thinking to transfer the balances of those card to the one Discover ? What do you guys think to maximize my credit scores .  TU 720 EX 718 EQ 739 That would leave two card zero balance and only one car carrying a balance . Debt to credit ratio would be lowered to an 10-15 % of cerdit  usage . Currently at 40-43% of cerdit usage .

Note: I asked for a CL increase from AMEX and they denied it . Do to slow payment is what they said . But I pay double the amount due monthly .

Im thinking in hindsight you should of asked for the CLI on Amex after you transferred the balance off the card onto the Discover. 

As from Amex saying slow pay... AMEX is one of those cards that likes balances to be paid off quickly. That being said they probably should of phrased it as slow repayment.  If you have $2100 off a 3K credit limit.  That is over 30% uti and I think they frown Smiley Sad upon that.  You have to understand that when AMEX was born they did not have revolving accounts.  They were all Charge Cards meaining that you charged and paid in full.  They have moved with the times in order to stay with the times and to garner more business.  So they still like to see low limits on their cards. 

To conclude, if you transfer those balances to Discover It card... I would suggest that if it was me I would use AMEX and other card and PIF every month.  And aggressively pay down that Discover .. so that you don't get too close to the ceiling that you get declined for credit line increases.  You should be able to grow that Amex and Discover nicely.  (I wouldn't know about the AMEX, cause its the only card I haven't been able to get YET lol - but it is what I hear through the myFICO grapevine) 

PS Nice approval on the DISCOVER IT - Congratulations.  

You can do this ... you have gorgeous scores.. better than my own. 

So you are doing things right.  Sometimes I offer advice .. because its like studying aloud... if I hear myself say it .. it is also a benefit for me as well.  I don't ever come off sound snarky or condescending.  It is as much a benefit to me as it is to the person I am bestowing it on.  Sometimes, it just takes someone else to recertify it.  

All Smiles Smiley Wink 

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes I would .  And You ?

If you're barely chipping away at your balance, it's slow paying.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes I would .  And You ?

If you're barely chipping away at your balance, it's slow paying.

+1 Double the minimum payment is what, $50 off of $2000+ balance? That is slow paying
Message 9 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I know Amex likes PIF but for the life of me if thats all you want should just stay with charge cards( Amex that is). Not everyone can or will pay back after a purchase. Thats why its called a revolver you should be able to carry a balance if you want to. I know this is frowned upon here and it probably does help to get better clis with them making multiple payments, its just i feel a person shouldnt be penalized for revolving. And if you are doubling your min payment its still better than only paying the minimum. Imho.
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.