Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card closed... account analyst not sure why

tag
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

Discover card closed... account analyst not sure why

I just asked for a 16k to 21k CLI a couple business days ago and it cleared.  Now i signed online and it says" This account has been closed"  HUH?  Never missed a payment, put lots of spending, and PIF every month.  They said i will have to contact the "account payments review" department. Oh **bleep**, this doesn't sound good.  

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Discover card closed... account analyst not sure why

@weehoo wrote:

I just asked for a 16k to 21k CLI a couple business days ago and it cleared.  Now i signed online and it says" This account has been closed"  HUH?  Never missed a payment, put lots of spending, and PIF every month.  They said i will have to contact the "account payments review" department. Oh **bleep**, this doesn't sound good.  

did any of your payments bounce in the past?

anyhow, best of luck. call them again tomorrow morning / afternoon. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

Sounds like a FA or compromised acct

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 17
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@weehoo wrote:

Very sorry to hear this. What's your util at the moment?  Anything screaming 'risk'?  I haven't heard of this much from Discover. It sounds like somethimg definitely has them spooked. Not sure your income but 211k is a large sum of available credit.  Could that be it?  Maybe they feel you're over extended. Goodluck, regardless.  

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 4 of 17
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

Never had a payment bounce.  They gave me a number to call and said they are open tommorow morning.  So bizzare. 

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 5 of 17
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

Bought plane tickets and hotel to Maui a couple weeks ago before the CLI, only 5k .  I spend a thousand or so a month usually.  But yea 211k credit might be making some worried, even though all those accounts are PIF, never had a late, nothing negative on credit report. 

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best of luck. What a shock!
Message 7 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

@weehoo wrote:

Bought plane tickets and hotel to Maui a couple weeks ago before the CLI, only 5k .  I spend a thousand or so a month usually.  But yea 211k credit might be making some worried, even though all those accounts are PIF, never had a late, nothing negative on credit report. 

well sometimes it may be a fraud alert. they may think your account is compromised so they closed it before there's any additional damage. 

other than that, if it was an adverse action, they may sometimes be able to reverse it. just be prepared to answer questions about your financials and credit report if that's the case.

Best of luck!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 17
mrsjr
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear this.  I bet it may have something to do with the amount of available credit you have.  Good luck!

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 739 TU
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 17
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

UPDATE - spoke with the security department, they said the account was closed by accident, and is now reopened immediately. 

Your killin me smalls!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.