Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover card closed account

Good information! Thanks for the post!

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very useful! My Discover has the DC promo, but DW's does not, so all our spend goes on mine. I may need to buy something soon on hers, since it hasn't been used since last June.

Message 12 of 17
rockup55
Contributor

I have the AX Blue Cash Preferred Card  and the AX Everyday Card.  Prior to getting my Discover Card in March this year, I use to use my AX Blue Cash card pretty heavily.  But to be honest, with the Discover double cash back promotion for the first year, Discover Deals,  Discover 5% rotating cash back categories, refer a friend Discover cash back bonus  and the 10% Applepay with Discover promotion until the end of the year, I find Discover to be a far superior cash back card to the AX Blue Cash Preferred Card at least for the first year I have Discover.  After a year, I will re-evaluate whether I change my card spending preferences.  The other thing I prefer about Discover is you get REAL cash for the cashback rewards delivered right to your checking account if you desire.  You do not have to take it in the form of a statement credit and you don't have to wait until the balance reach some pre-determined level before you can redeem it.  Right now I am on track to collect a total REAL cash back reward from Discover, including my one year Anniversary double bonus, that will exceed $2000.  I honestly do not do any extra spending that I was not planning to do anyway but I do pay virtually all of my bills with Discover including some bills that I pay ahead several months to take maximum advantage of double cashback but i am going to pay these bills anyway and I will earn more this way then letting the money just sit in a low interest money market account.  These are not funds I would ever plan to invest longterm anyway.  I always pay my balances off each month in sufficient level to maintain an overall card utilization of about 2% so I never pay one penny of interest on any credit card, just don't use credit cards in that manner.  Bottomline, I think using AX Bluue Cash Preferred instead of Discover for the first year is passing on a lot of potential opportunity. 

Message 13 of 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sure, all issuers will close a card for inactivity.  But my understanding was that most issuers allow a period of 18-24 months before they deem a card dormant.

Don't rely on such generalizations and confirm polcicies on closure due to inactivity with each of your creditors as they can and do vary.

@rockup55 wrote:

Bottomline, I think using AX Bluue Cash Preferred instead of Discover for the first year is passing on a lot of potential opportunity. 

One always has to carefully consider the individual's specific situation, spend, etc.  The BCP gets me 6% (minus AF) at my main grocery store.  Discover is only 2% and that's with the double cash back promo.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

"I have the AX Blue Cash Preferred Card and the AX Everyday Card. Prior to getting my Discover Card in March this year, I use to use my AX Blue Cash card pretty heavily. But to be honest, with the Discover double cash back promotion for the first year, Discover Deals, Discover 5% rotating cash back categories, refer a friend Discover cash back bonus and the 10% Applepay with Discover promotion until the end of the year, I find Discover to be a far superior cash back card to the AX Blue Cash Preferred Card at least for the first year I have Discover. After a year, I will re-evaluate whether I change my card spending preferences. The other thing I prefer about Discover is you get REAL cash for the cashback rewards delivered right to your checking account if you desire. You do not have to take it in the form of a statement credit and you don't have to wait until the balance reach some pre-determined level before you can redeem it. Right now I am on track to collect a total REAL cash back reward from Discover, including my one year Anniversary double bonus, that will exceed $2000. I honestly do not do any extra spending that I was not planning to do anyway but I do pay virtually all of my bills with Discover including some bills that I pay ahead several months to take maximum advantage of double cashback but i am going to pay these bills anyway and I will earn more this way then letting the money just sit in a low interest money market account. These are not funds I would ever plan to invest longterm anyway. I always pay my balances off each month in sufficient level to maintain an overall card utilization of about 2% so I never pay one penny of interest on any credit card, just don't use credit cards in that manner. Bottomline, I think using AX Bluue Cash Preferred instead of Discover for the first year is passing on a lot of potential opportunity. "

Dang that sounds really good. Sounds like my kind of card.

Discover seems like the perfect card to pay bills with. But I noticed Apple Pay in app purchases are disabled with this card. I don't care though I'm gonna shop with it right now. 

Message 15 of 17
rockup55
Contributor

I agree with you about the 6% for groceries if  the majority of the spending I do with my card was for groceries.  There is only so many groceries that I will buy in a given month and even AX cap your 6% spending.  Much more of my spending with my Discover Card is focused on paying bills which all yield 2% with doubling,  the 5% and Discover Deal categories on stuff I was planning to buy anyway, all of which yield at least 10% with doubling, the free $50 for each referred friend  which all double in the first year for up to 10 friends  and the 10% Applepay bonus on top of everything else when I can use it which can mean 22% to 30% for the doubling on some items..  The most I will ever spend on groceries for my personal situation is about $400/month  so all I am giving up in the Discover 2% vs AX 6% is about $16/month in loss  savings in groceries.  I am never going to get a $2000+ cash bonus sent to my checking account in a year by trying to focus my efforts on  utilizing the 6% AX spending category for the narrow category of spending on groceries.

Message 16 of 17
rockup55
Contributor

Also, there is no AF for the Discover It card that I use

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.