cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card extra security Log in prompt?

tag
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover card extra security Log in prompt?

Thanks for updating

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 11 of 17
Neuroelf
Visitor

Solved it !

Ran a free scan with Hitman Pro - found the Trojan and quarantined it....

Message 12 of 17
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Heh... maybe that was not it. But... everybody has been seeing the warning prompt about coming additional security levels, right?

discover prompt.jpg

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 13 of 17
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Weird. A security verification with an existing lender will never ask you for your full SSN. They will usually ask you to verify the last 4. You dodged a bullet.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 14 of 17
Mrm-na
New Contributor

@Mailak wrote:

Heh... maybe that was not it. But... everybody has been seeing the warning prompt about coming additional security levels, right?

discover prompt.jpg

I've seen that, and actually got hit with it once.  It was weird, and irritating, because it was the same PC I always use to log in to my account.  In fact, it's the only PC I've *ever* used to login to Discover.  I have no idea why they suddenly "didn't recognize" it.  It's a desktop PC, on my desk, it doesn't move around, IP address didn't change.

They asked a security question, but they didn't call me or anything.  So it wasn't quite at the level of what they're suggesting in that message.

Financial sites tend to annoy me with some of the stuff they do.  The automatic logouts especially.  They seem determined to assume that I'm logging in at the public library or something.  And for those people, we all have to suffer.

Discover isn't the worst though. The most annoying site I deal with is my credit union. Their web developers are both paranoid and amateur at the same time. At one point their site had become so frustrating I almost closed my accounts.

That phishing trojan sounds pretty scary.  I've never before heard of one that pops up after logging in legitly.. lots of people might get fooled by that I'm afraid.  The only thing that makes it suspicious is that it's asking for so *much* information.

I keep a text file (encrypted - requiring a strong password to read it) containing all my login info for web sites.  It also contains all the security questions that I've set up with the banks.  This is one situation where having a record of those questions could be helpful.  That way if you get suspicious, you can check if the questions match what you set up with them.

I remember for a while, I used to refuse to cooperate with security questions because I thought them unnecessary and a potential fraud loophole.  I knew I wasn't going to lose my password so when somebody asked for a security question, I'd just mash a bunch of random letters on my keyboard.  I'm glad I didn't do that with Discover, or I'd be locked out when they decide to randomly question me.

Message 15 of 17
linux007969
Established Contributor

@Neuroelf wrote:

Solved it !

Ran a free scan with Hitman Pro - found the Trojan and quarantined it....

You should also try Malwarebytes Antimalware just to be extra safe, the free version is really awesome! I'm the virus removal expert for our company & our customers. Smiley Very Happy

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 16 of 17
RnJ
Contributor

Just chiming in here, but if Discover told you they "were aware of it", that *could* mean they had a script injection on their site, so it's up to Discover to fix it.  However, if you do get those phishing url redirects and pop-ups, immediately close out and run your antivirus software - as linux007969 notes, Malwarebytes is a great free program - they also have a searchable site for malware and viruses and instructions on how to remove them from your pc.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.