Regular Contributor

Discover card with EMV chip

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover card with EMV chip

Thats great cant wait.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 2 of 24
minipoly1
Contributor

But the problem is Discover is not popular in Europe (compare to MasterCard and Visa), so I don't know if this make much sense.

Amex BCE $17,600 | CSP $6,200 | PayPal Extras MC $3,000 | Discover $3,000 | BofA $3,000
Last app: Oct 1, 2013. No app until 2015 or new credit card with big bonus introduced.
Message 3 of 24
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@minipoly1 wrote:

But the problem is Discover is not popular in Europe (compare to MasterCard and Visa), so I don't know if this make much sense.

I don't have a discover card, exactly for that reason:  no one in UK has even heard of discover, but I would imagine they are doing it for US transactions.  Eventually, the US needs to start transitioning to this superior method.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 24
joshy
Valued Member

In Europe you have to use the discover card as a diners club international card. I just used it this past may
Credit Cards:Amex BCE $5K. Amex costco $15K,Chase Freedom $1K, Discover $4K,Discover it $1.7K Cap1 $2.5K, Cap1 $1.5K, Cap1 visa $1K, BBRZMC $300, BNFL $1450, Cap1 $2K. BRCU $1K.chevrom visa $3.3K, toyrus visa $6.3K,walmart DC$2.4k,Gap vs$4k

Store Card.Walmart $3.3K,Amazon $3.5K, Old Navy $4.7K, KOHLS $500, The Children's Place $325. Target $700, Express $1.15K. paypal SC $1.8K, MACYS $2.5k
Message 5 of 24
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@joshy wrote:
In Europe you have to use the discover card as a diners club international card. I just used it this past may

I guess it depends where you go then, but I have not seen a diners club international card in the last year I have been living in England.  Possibly, with some careful research, I might be able to find a hotel somewhere that might take it.

Maybe it is more useful in other countries though.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@DaveSignal wrote:

@joshy wrote:

I guess it depends where you go then, but I have not seen a diners club international card in the last year I have been living in England.  Possibly, with some careful research, I might be able to find a hotel somewhere that might take it.

+1

I noticed that DCI acceptance in parts of Europe has waned off from back in the day.

Message 7 of 24
flan
Regular Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@joshy wrote:

Judging by acceptance marks, Discover's (As diner's club)  accpetance in the former Yugoslavia is much better than Amex's, which still puts it well behind Visa and MC.  I'm under the impression that's true in lots of Eastern Europe, too.  Wouldn't want one as my only card there (but I wouldn't even in the US). 

Message 8 of 24
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

In theory, you'd be able to use your Discover card on any EMV terminal once the Discover/JCB network is added, no?  

I was of the understanding that EMV is actually it's own payment processing network that links into the legacy ones.  In other words, with EMV there's no more "we don't take Amex/Discover"... if they have EMV they take anything with EMV built-in. In other words, if you have the terminal, you don't get to choose which networks you have, you have all that EMV supports (now 6).

This could be TOTALLY wrong, but it's how understand it.  If it's correct, Discover just got way more global acceptance!

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 9 of 24
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@SoulMaster wrote:

In theory, you'd be able to use your Discover card on any EMV terminal once the Discover/JCB network is added, no?  

I was of the understanding that EMV is actually it's own payment processing network that links into the legacy ones.  In other words, with EMV there's no more "we don't take Amex/Discover"... if they have EMV they take anything with EMV built-in. In other words, if you have the terminal, you don't get to choose which networks you have, you have all that EMV supports (now 6).

This could be TOTALLY wrong, but it's how understand it.  If it's correct, Discover just got way more global acceptance!

-SM

This is wrong.  EMV is just an authentication method, not a payment processing network. 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.