Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover card

tag
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover card

@KneelBeforeZod wrote:
I started off at $10k. They like usage, on time payments, and paying well more than the minimum. I'm at $15k one year after getting the card.

I am not happy with the APR though and have only used it to pay Netflix just to keep it active. They're my highest at 21.99%. I might play chicken with them to see if they will lower the APR. The 0% intro was a beautiful honeymoon though.
Give Discover a call and ask them to lower your APR.  I've had success in doing that.  It may be just 3% every 6 months or so, but you can get it lower.  Good luck.

Message 21 of 46
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Started at 1K, took two years to get to 2K and just recently I got to 3K. Maybe I could have gotten CLI's faster but I refused to let them do a hard pull.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 22 of 46
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What behaviour does Discover like from its cardholders?   PIF or leave a balance,  utilization , etc.  How often do they auto CLI? Appreciate any suggestions, just starting out with them. 

Do not rely solely on usage.  CLI's are primarily determined based on what one's credit -- not just one or two factors but one's entire credit profile -- and income qualify for.

I'm not sure about this or at least that hasn't worked for me. I have 780s across the board, I make nearly 200K and I have been their customer for nearly 3 years. I couldn't get off my 1K limit until I ramped up my usage by quite a lot. As a Point of refrence I have over 250K in credit from other CC companies (not including my business or NPSL cards). 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 23 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ill second the above post. I got my 2800 cli after months of barely any use. The first 8 months i used it like crazy, and denied cli every time.
Message 24 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@2011
No she didn't lol.

The general accepted timeline for discover to allow for a CLI is indeed 90 days. That example provided above is a rare exception. I would know because I've talked to multiple chat reps, the credit department, and new accounts department. All of them said I needed to wait 90 days. The person who said 60 days was 1/100000000000 card holders. The 90 days applies to every cardholder, but in this case it somehow passed through.
Message 25 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@2011
No she didn't lol.

The general accepted timeline for discover to allow for a CLI is indeed 90 days. That example provided above is a rare exception. I would know because I've talked to multiple chat reps, the credit department, and new accounts department. All of them said I needed to wait 90 days. The person who said 60 days was 1/100000000000 card holders. The 90 days applies to every cardholder, but in this case it somehow passed through.

I got my card two months ago, today I logged In and noticed they gave me a 500.00 increase.  I had planned to wait until the three month timeframe to ask for one.  Should I still ask at 3 months, what are the chances I could get one then?

Message 26 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

ask
Message 27 of 46
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Just to add some data points, I got my account the end of July with $5.5k credit line, and in September I took them up on a 0% APR balance transfer for $3k.  When I hit my 90 day mark, I figured 'what the heck' and gave the CLI button a try... surprisingly, they gave me a $500 CLI to make my new limit $6k.

It wasn't the highest CLI I've ever received, but considering my account was only three months old and I was/am carrying a balance of over 50% of my limit, I felt it was generous.  Smiley Very Happy

From what I've read in different threads myself over the last few months, with Discover the starting credit line and CLIs are 'all over the place'.  Some folks with tons of credit and great income get small initial credit lines and others (like myself) with modest income and only a few cards get relatively generous credit lines.  It's really YMMV. 

Where I have seen consistency across different threads is with being able to lower your APR (it seems to be relatively common and straight-forward) and there seems to be a general consensus that the quality of their customer service is top-notch.

Hope some of this helps!

Message 28 of 46
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Think theres a misconception about the gravy train. It seems to be over for members like myself who got 6 increases within like 3 months. But if you're just starting with Discover increases thats different. At least thats how I see it from reading lots of posts here on the subject. Smiley Very Happy Train might still be rolling for others but we've exhausted our love!

Haha those were the good ole days. What fun we had! Smiley Happy The Discover cli train where we were getting clis every 16 or 17 days for 3 straight months this past spring is definitely over. However, they are certainly still giving out clis. But just not like during that time period. Smiley Sad

Message 29 of 46
Country_Feller
Valued Contributor

@dapps06 wrote:

I was approved for a card in April with a 500 limit. I think I charged about 60 bucks or so the first month and paid before the statement cut. I then let a balance of around 200 linger for two months and then paid it off. I applied for a CLI a few weeks ago and was bumped up to 800. That's all I really know about them so far, they are definitely more conservative than most.

Congratulations!!!!

myFICO=EQ 702, TU 716, EX 743br>EQ=11//TU=15//EX=11/Util 14%. Gardening since 01/02/2017.

Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.