Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover cash back question

tag
IWOL
Established Contributor

Discover cash back question

I have a question for those of you that  have Dicover and have used Shop Discover to get extra cash back.

i bought a Playstaion 4 through shop Discover at Best Buy Online. That should get me 10% cash back. It says on the terms and conditions " cannot be used with other offers outside of shop discover" 

Well I also have a Best Buy rewards account that gives you 5% back on Best Buy purchases which come in the form of best buy points. Will  getting the best buy points on the purchase void the Discover cash back?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover cash back question

@IWOL wrote:

I have a question for those of you that  have Dicover and have used Shop Discover to get extra cash back.

i bought a Playstaion 4 through shop Discover at Best Buy Online. That should get me 10% cash back. It says on the terms and conditions " cannot be used with other offers outside of shop discover" 

Well I also have a Best Buy rewards account that gives you 5% back on Best Buy purchases which come in the form of best buy points. Will  getting the best buy points on the purchase void the Discover cash back?

It can void the Discover cash back, but is not always the case!

Many here have reported receiving the Discover cash-back bonus even when using another card. So it is a gamble of sorts, but you are more likely to receive both rewards.

All the best!

Message 2 of 9
Jerryf08
New Contributor

I've done it recently several times and on all of them I recieved Discover's and Best Buy's rewards.

Chase Freedom: $5000, CSP: $12800 Chase Hyatt: $5000, Amazon Visa: $500, Amex BCE: $23200, Discover IT: $3600, Walmart Disc: $7500, BOA Cash $5000, Best Buy: $3500
Message 3 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

I have used shopdiscover and then paid using other cards (chase, Amex, citi, etc. doesn't seem to matter). Still got my cashback. Doesn't seem to be an issue.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 9
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

It's good to know.

Message 5 of 9
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

When I asked Discover the CSR said it would void the ShopDiscover cash back. Still went ahead and used Amex for the extended warranty and the special offer from Amex and bam...ShopDiscover worked. Also got the 25$ from Amex. So this is a risk I am willing to take as it looks that it does work.

Message 6 of 9
irrational
Frequent Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

When I asked Discover the CSR said it would void the ShopDiscover cash back. Still went ahead and used Amex for the extended warranty and the special offer from Amex and bam...ShopDiscover worked. Also got the 25$ from Amex. So this is a risk I am willing to take as it looks that it does work.

Ha ha, that's awesome! I too prefer te extended warranty, so this sounds like having your cake and eating too.

I'll have to try this on my next purchase.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@irrational wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Ha ha, that's awesome! I too prefer te extended warranty, so this sounds like having your cake and eating too.

There's a long-running thread similar to this on Flyertalk, there talking about the Chase UR portal.   Bottom line for all of these things seems to be:

a) It will very often work

b) but if it doesn't, you are usually out of luck, the reps have no good way to track when other cards are used (or perhaps it is too much work so they don't bother).   

So use another card for extra protections and/or rewards, but be aware there is a small chance that you will not get the cash back, and have no recourse.

Message 8 of 9
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

@irrational wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

Wow, this is really cool~ However, could you please share the details info about AMEX card that offer better purchase protecton?  I know discover offer 500 dollars damage, price drop, and return protection as well as extended 1 year warranty. Can Amex offer better?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.