Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover cli question

tag
percy81
Frequent Contributor

Discover cli question

Hello everyone, I've had my discover card since march I believe and they started me at 1,000 then auto at 3 months to 1250 then auto again to 1750 ( current). I had to use the card to take care of medical expense and now have a balance of 650.00 and I'm wanted to call and request an increase so that my utilization will be lowered. I'm thinking about saying something like " I want to take advantage of your cash back bonus for my holiday shopping" or do you think I'll be denied by being truthful and saying " I just want my utilization to be lowered"? Also, you think having a high balance be cause for automation deny anyway? And if not what is the highest I can ask for without a hard pull, I'm thinking about asking for a high amount in hopes that they will counter it off with the amount I'm " really" expecting? Background into for ya, NEVER been late EVER on any credit card, never have gone over 50% uti on any card. Fico score in middle 700 range on all 3 oh BTW I'm calling the back door number if that helps, thank u

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover cli question

Well, requesting an increase with a balance is hit or miss. Discover's Customer Service is great so they may be more understanding. At the same time some banks may percieve that as risky. For example, in American Express there have been a few stories about medical or legal fees causing a bit of an issue. If they have a certain amount invested in you they may not want to extend more credit. Overall, if you have a good history(it appears you do) and this is the only card with that balance go for it. A manual review would probaly get you approved vs. the automated system. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.