cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover denied 2 of 3 price protection claims, need help...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover denied 2 of 3 price protection claims, need help...

So I purchased 3 pairs of shoes, all the same shoe, 1 was purchased a few weeks before the 2nd and 3rd. I filed a claim for price protection on the 1st pair as I found it cheaper elsewhere, the claim was immediately approved with no problem. I ended up buying 2 more pairs of shoes and submitted a price protection claim for the remaining 2 and I just found out the final 2 got denied. I called customer service and the rep told me in the notes it says it was denied because the site I found the cheaper price wasn't selling an authentic version of the shoe.

I was very confused as I used the exact site for the first shoe and it was approved so why would these be denied and how do they even know the site is selling non authentic shoes? Did they purchase a shoe and take it to some expert to examine the authenticity? The rep actually agreed with me and was confused also why it was denied but said I needed to call back in the morning to talk with a supervisor.

Any suggestions here? I have about 10 different web sites that have the shoes on sale right now, all for different prices but still about 100 dollars cheaper then what I purchased. If they don't like the site I used for this claim I can easily provide them with another site like Nike or footlocker that has them on sale, I only used the original site because it got approved in the first claim and the price is the lowest so I thought everything was ok...

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover denied 2 of 3 price protection claims, need help...

One of two things:

1. Resubmit using a different site

2. Maybe the real reason they declined it is because you purchased the shoes at a higher price (Knowing they were available for lower as evidenced by your prior claim) and decided that they did not want to cover it because after all you choose to buy at the higher price

Not saying #2 is what really happened but it could be a possiblity

Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if i can resubmit a new site, it was my assumption that once its denied its done and you cant file a claim for the same item twice... As far as purchasing from a higher priced site, theres no stipulation that I have to purchase from a lower priced site if available, I get what your saying but honestly I like to shop at mom and pop stores instead of big box stores and i'd rather pay a little more (knowing I can do a price match) for my merchandise.. I've done this before with shoes I've purchased and have never had any issues getting it approved, as long as the receipt item number matched the item number on the website screen shot everything has been fine...

Message 3 of 30
yfan
Valued Contributor

So... Why is it you bought it on the original site knowing it was cheaper somewhere else? Something tells me there's more to the story here.
Message 4 of 30
elim
Senior Contributor

what was the price difference?    they probably think you are buying a pair of knock-offs and getting 4 pair of high end shoes for 1/2 price.

Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this is why they denied these 2 claims but it doesnt make sense because they approved the first one which is exactly the same as these last 2 i filed. Why approve 1 and not the other 2 if they are the same. As far as why i purchased from the more expensive site, like i said, i always support small businesses, if i can purchase from a small business at a higher cost and use my credit cards price protection to bring the cost down to what the big box stores list it as then i will do that. I refuse to shop at chain stores or big box stores unless i absolutely have to..

Message 6 of 30
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

what price protection? lol someone direct me to where to find more info on this feature thanks

Gardening 25JAN16 - 25JUL16

Message 7 of 30
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think this is why they denied these 2 claims but it doesnt make sense because they approved the first one which is exactly the same as these last 2 i filed. Why approve 1 and not the other 2 if they are the same. As far as why i purchased from the more expensive site, like i said, i always support small businesses, if i can purchase from a small business at a higher cost and use my credit cards price protection to bring the cost down to what the big box stores list it as then i will do that. I refuse to shop at chain stores or big box stores unless i absolutely have to..

Maybe discover doesn't support small businesses. But honestly, I have to believe they denied it because you knew the other store was cheaper yet you continued to buy at the more expensive one. IMO, you're trying to scam them.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe discover doesn't support small businesses. But honestly, I have to believe they denied it because you knew the other store was cheaper yet you continued to buy at the more expensive one. IMO, you're trying to scam them.

The girl told me in the notes it was because they believed the website item that I was trying to use to price match to not be authentic which is why it was denied, I'll find out more in the morning when I talk to a supervisor, but if this is true that they felt the website wasn't authentic then why approve the first claim? 

Maybe im just trying to justify it in my eyes but there's nothing in the exclusions or guidelines that states you have to purchase a lower price item if you can, so not sure how they could use that as basis to deny a claim. 

Message 9 of 30
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I might be misunderstanding the wording here but could this be why?

Benefit Level

"There is a per-item limit of $500 and an annual program payment limit of $2,500 per account. Coverage is limited to three of an identical item with a limit of one refund per eligible item. Payment is made net of any applicable taxes, storage, shipping, handling and postage charges."

I can interpret this 2 ways so i might be misinterpreting. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.