Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover doing lots of Soft Pulls on my TU Credit Report

tag
luxlight
Regular Contributor

Discover doing lots of Soft Pulls on my TU Credit Report

Is there any reason for caution? I've had my discover it student card open for 6 months, and after pulling my Transunion credit report, it shows discover has done a soft pull on my report for every single month I've had it open and did 3 soft pulls in one month around the 4 month mark of my account being open. I've had 100% on time payment but i had 80% credit utitlization the month i had the 3 soft pulls. Every other month I've kept a credit utilization of 14% or under. Also strangely enough, this is my first credit card but it shows Discover never did a hard pull when i was approved for my credit card. Any thoughts?

FICO 8 Scores

TU: 743 [2 Inquiry] | EQ: 742 (FAKO) [0 Inquiry] | EX: 753 [4 Inquiries]

AAoA = 2 years, AAoOA = 3 year 1 months

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover doing lots of Soft Pulls on my TU Credit Report

That's how they get the free credit score that they include on your scorecard. So that explains the once a month. Did you ask for a cli or anything in the month with multiple pulls?
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here, first credit card no hard pull. Seems to be a trend with disco student cards. As already mentioned 1 soft pull a month is expected, and the rest was propably part of an attempt to assess the risk of your spending behavior.

Message 3 of 8
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@luxlightwrote:

Is there any reason for caution? I've had my discover it student card open for 6 months, and after pulling my Transunion credit report, it shows discover has done a soft pull on my report for every single month I've had it open and did 3 soft pulls in one month around the 4 month mark of my account being open. I've had 100% on time payment but i had 80% credit utitlization the month i had the 3 soft pulls. Every other month I've kept a credit utilization of 14% or under. Also strangely enough, this is my first credit card but it shows Discover never did a hard pull when i was approved for my credit card. Any thoughts?

Where can you tell that they are doing soft pulls? I use myfico for my reports. 

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cheryla18wrote:

Where can you tell that they are doing soft pulls? I use myfico for my reports. 

To see the soft pulls you would have to request an official credit report directly from the credit bureaus, not third parties such as myfico/creditkarma/etc.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
That's how they get the free credit score that they include on your scorecard. So that explains the once a month. Did you ask for a cli or anything in the month with multiple pulls?

I agree with this.  I was checking my credit score via Credit Karma once per week.  They soft pulled me every time I checked it.

Message 6 of 8
luxlight
Regular Contributor

Yea the 3 soft pulls in one month, i asked for 2 clis and one was granted

FICO 8 Scores

Message 7 of 8
luxlight
Regular Contributor

I pulled my transunion credit report and it showed all the banks that did soft pulls on my TU credit report

FICO 8 Scores

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.