Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover dropped my APR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover dropped my APR

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to send this out to let everyone know it never hurts to ask a credit company to reduce your rate. I just simply asked Discover and they dropped my rate 1.75% points. Yes I know its not much, but its nice to know if I ever get thrusted into a bad situation at least it will be a little better on down the road. Especially with the holidays soon to be upon us it seems even the stringest of lenders are bending over backwards. Good luck to anyone who asks.

Disclaimer: I've been a perfect Discover customer for a year and have attempted this multiple times before with no prior success. I suspect this was because I was under 700 by a hair and also under a year with Discover. Now though thanks to some large credit line increases I'm north of 730 Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover dropped my APR

Well now, that's awesome! Congratulations!

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called recently, mostly looking for a spend promo, but also for any APR improvement. I got my APR down from 17.24% to 15.24%. The account is almost two years old and started at 18.99%.

The CSR thought it was really weird that I wanted a lower APR (since I've never carried a balance on it, even during the intro 0% period), and was encouraging me to use the card for things other than 5% (10%) spending and Discover Deals.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good- Enjoy it.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your APR reduction!
Message 5 of 11
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to send this out to let everyone know it never hurts to ask a credit company to reduce your rate. I just simply asked Discover and they dropped my rate 1.75% points. Yes I know its not much, but its nice to know if I ever get thrusted into a bad situation at least it will be a little better on down the road. Especially with the holidays soon to be upon us it seems even the stringest of lenders are bending over backwards. Good luck to anyone who asks.

Disclaimer: I've been a perfect Discover customer for a year and have attempted this multiple times before with no prior success. I suspect this was because I was under 700 by a hair and also under a year with Discover. Now though thanks to some large credit line increases I'm north of 730 Smiley Happy

Well done!

I had a similar experience with AT&T Universal/Citi Card. I called, requested a rate reduction and they lowered my rate 1.8%. I've had the card 25 years. It is unfortunate CC issuers don't adjust your rate "automatically" when credit improves - you have to ask. I always PIF ... but you never know.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Definitely never hurts to ask.

I really do like Discover and their CSRs. It's probably my favorite company to call, on the rare occasion that I have to.

Message 7 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Grats

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 11
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the excellent APR reduction!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.