cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover finally got it right. 5% cashback limits raised!

tag
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Discover finally got it right. 5% cashback limits raised!

Finally! I never thought that would happen. Discover has now matched the limits of its rotating 5% bonus categories to the Chase Freedom card. As of January, you can obtain 5% on up to $1500 in qualified spending for each quarter. I wonder why that took so long. Since I have both cards, I can now choose which one I want to use. Most, but not all of the categories are the same between the two cards.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover finally got it right. 5% cashback limits raised!

Maybe Chase commercials got them  thinking

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully they change it from an "up to 1%" to a 1% card. 

Message 3 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@wollepopolle wrote:
Finally! I never thought that would happen. Discover has now matched the limits of its rotating 5% bonus categories to the Chase Freedom card. As of January, you can obtain 5% on up to $1500 in qualified spending for each quarter. I wonder why that took so long. Since I have both cards, I can now choose which one I want to use. Most, but not all of the categories are the same between the two cards.

It took that long for them to see that they were losing potential good customers to Chase. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 9
arsenal04
New Contributor

If this card became a 1% card I would use it a lot more.  I have the BankAmericard 1,2,3 card so I use that or my American Express Green Card for purchases I dont get 5% on.  There are quarters were I SD the Discover More because of how rarely I buy something in the 5% categories.

Message 5 of 9
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hopefully they change it from an "up to 1%" to a 1% card. 

+1 - If only this were to happen soon!

Message 6 of 9
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I agree with the 1% comments.  Well...having better CLs and CLIs would help too (at least for me!).

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Chase Freedom commercials definitely got their attention I think.

Speaking of commercials has anyone seen the Discover commercial where a card customer calls Peggy wanting to redeem an award and Peggy gives them the runaround about "Tokens" and "Coupons" and various things? They were probably calling out Citi in that commercial I think. I mean what exactly is a Thank you point anyway and what is it worth?

Message 8 of 9
lithium78
Established Contributor

@arsenal04 wrote:

If this card became a 1% card I would use it a lot more.  I have the BankAmericard 1,2,3 card so I use that or my American Express Green Card for purchases I dont get 5% on.  There are quarters were I SD the Discover More because of how rarely I buy something in the 5% categories.

I do the same thing.  I have basically used Discover for their rotating categories and then ignored it once I hit the $300 cap.  I'm going to use it a lot more with a $1500 cap, especially since six months next year are going to include gasoline purchases.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.