Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover floating due dates?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover floating due dates?

Since I'm new to Discover (March 2017) I wanted to see if anyone else can confirm that their due dates float a bit...

My statement date has been on the 13th since I changed my due date early on to fit with my income date monthly.  August 13, September 13, October 13, November 13, December 13...

My due date for the first 4 months was always the 8th of each month.  I went in to pay off my Discover card today and noticed it says December 12th is the due date, which puts it 1 day before statement cut.

Is this something that fluctuates month to month?  Something special for Christmas month?

I am writing my own personal finance app like Mint and one of the things I put in is cash flow expectations which let me manage spend in order to make sure I keep cards PIF'd and avoiding interest while maximizing interest earned in my savings account I keep my payoff funds in.  So changing the due date out 4 days doesn't account for much, but 4 days of interest is 4 extra days of interest!

Just curious if I should expect Discover to switch back to the 8th in January or expect the due date to fluctuate.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover floating due dates?

I'd ask. I believe the law prevents due dates from fluctuating. That used to not be the case. However, the statement cut date can fluctuate.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do plan to ask today at least via online chat.

I also made a note to myself to look into the guidelines for statement/due dates per the laws.

Even though it's in my favor, and all my CC's are on autopay "just in case", I still freaked out a bit because I don't like variances when it comes to things like this.

My personal finance "app" actually forces me to log in to all my accounts weekly as an audit step to confirm balances but I just added a monthly feature to force me to also confirm due dates and statement dates.  Might as well make it a habit.  Just added a feature to remind me when to check for CLIs and when I can app for a product based on prior apps or 5/24 rules or whatever.

Message 3 of 13
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

I'm literally in tears as I type this.. I'm having a simular issue. I have a cap one card that I've had since April.. When I first got the  card I changed the payment due date.. Months go by no change, even after many calls. November I don't get a statement even though I made a transaction and paid befor the due date which was the 23rd. I called saturday to inquire about statement and was told I would not be get a nov statement, because I don't owe anything. I make a purchase, and would you believe the purchase posted the same day that my statement cut. which was the 6th of December. I got no type of letter saying hey said change has taken affect. I'm so angry because now this purchase will report to the cb that I have a balance.. when I shouldn't! I know it's not a major deal, but I've been doing everything I could to avoid this. Just to get some smug arse person on the phone to pretty much tell me oh well..

Message 4 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Google credit card due date law, and you'll find that due dates can't change. You don't even have to click the links. Smiley Happy

There must be a glitch in the Discover's system.

Message 5 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

When I changed a couple of Capital One due dates, the changes trickled in over a couple of months. I don't recall if it was the statement date or the due date that changed first.

On the other hand, when I changed my Chase due date, the statement cut change was immediate, but for obvious reasons, the due date for the current month remained the same.

Message 6 of 13
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

I really wish they would let you when the change is in effect. Now I have to wait and see if my score drops. Even though the purchase was under 30%. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I changed the dates on all of my credit cards to reflect when my income has the maximum value.  Capital One skipped a statement, as did Discover.  In Discover's case, the statement date was reflected on the website so I knew what to expect.

Capital One also threw me a surprise statement cut at 93% utilization, lol.

Message 8 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

My due date is always the 15th and my statement always cuts on the 20th.  Perhaps just an adjustment period since the due date was changed?  Due dates aren't supposed to change unless requested, but with many lenders the statement cut date will certainly fluctuate depending on the number of days in the month.  (Amex is one such lender; that can be alleviated by setting your due date to somewhere between the 26th and 28th of the month as you always have 25 days between statement closing and due date.)

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I changed my due date way back in June or so -- it forced a skipped statement in July (no statement) and then had the new due date in August.

I did NOT change my due date again since.  Actually, I would prefer the 12th over the 8th anyway, my income usually hits as early as the 2nd or as late as the 7th so getting it moved to the 12th is a bit useful if I am traveling when my money comes in.

Getting on chat now to ask.  I did notice that they said on the site there's system maintenance from the 9th to the 10th so maybe it's a courtesy bump to avoid people getting mad they couldn't log in?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.