Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover, funny stuff.......

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover, funny stuff.......

I have had my Discover Card for 11 months now, when I apped for the card 5/2011 my EQ FICO was 777-778 IIRC, 1% util, 6 or 7 yrs AAoA's, but I had a bunch of inq's, like 24 in total.

But, the inq's were for "rate shopping" for my auto loan, there was like 12 from 3/2009 all on the same day, and there was 10 from 5/2010 all on the same day, and there were 2 inq's from CC aps that were over 6 months old, so all in all, I technically only had 2 inq's affecting my score and 22 of them were from "rate shopping" and outside a year old.

But when I apped online I guess Discover's computer system did not distinguish that 98% of the inq's were all one the same day, two years apart and were for rate shopping, so I was instantly declined, I was shocked, with a 777 or 778 FICO, 1% util, good AAoA's, I was declined????

So I called Discover right away and spoke to a lady and asked why was I declined? She answered, too many inq's, I asked her to have a manual look at my report and she would see all the inq's were for rate shopping ect...... she put me on hold for a minute or two, came back and said Congratulations, I was able to get you approved with a 2K CL, I was like uh ok, but only 2K?

She responded with Discover is a conservative lender blah blah, so I said fine, thank you.

Fast forward to like three months ago or so, I requested a CLI online and the system came back with "we need a full report to process your request" I cancelled my CLI request, I called Discover and was transferred to the CLI dept, I explained the situation and was told that if the frontline CSR or the online system needed a full report, there was nothing that could be done by Discover to get around this.

So I waited another month, I ran a 1049 charge thru the card and paid the charge in full the day it hard posted to my account, I called Discover back about a week after that and asked for a CLI again as a 2K CL was not sufficient, the CSR asked "do you want me to put in a request for a CLI?" I said sure go ahead, she came back a minute later a said "we need a full report" to process your request, I had finally had enough and told the CSR I wanted to close my account, she pleaded with me to keep it open and when the year mark came around of my account opening to call back and try for a CLI at that time, she went on to tell me what a great cardholder I was, I always PIF, never carried a balance, blah blah blah.

So I said ok, I'll keep the account open until late May, early June and I'll call back like she said and ask for a CLI, she told me that she had noted in her system that I was very unhappy and was going to close the account and in her note she said she also included some type of escalation for my account to be reviewed, I thanked her and hung up.

So yesterday I get a letter in the mail, nothing on the envelope that indicated it was from Discover, I opened the letter and on the top right of the letter it said Discover, so I started reading it and here's what it said word for word......

Dear My Name,

Congratulations! We're pleased to inform you that your outstanding credit management has earned you a credit line increase on your Discover,

The new credit line on your Discover card is $2,250.00 <---Edited

In the coming months we will continue to evaluate your account, Then based on your overall credit behavior and Discover card usage, we may continue increasing your credit line. And the letter goes on, but nothing important after that.

So, Discover finally gave me a CLI, a WHOPPING $250CLISmiley Very Happy

I am so tempted to call Discover and tell them thanks but no thanks, keep your CLI and close my account, it's obvious you need the $$ more than I do!!!

But I think I'll hold the card for another few months, and see what happens.

I just thought I'd post this, as I thought it was pretty hilarious!! (and honestly a bit insulting)

Thanks for reading.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover, funny stuff.......

DIscover has never been known for their big CL's.  If they don't meet your needs vote with your wallet and take your business elsewhere.

Message 2 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have had my Discover Card for 11 months now, when I apped for the card 5/2011 my EQ FICO was 777-778 IIRC, 1% util, 6 or 7 yrs AAoA's, but I had a bunch of inq's, like 24 in total.

But, the inq's were for "rate shopping" for my auto loan, there was like 12 from 3/2009 all on the same day, and there was 10 from 5/2010 all on the same day, and there were 2 inq's from CC aps that were over 6 months old, so all in all, I technically only had 2 inq's affecting my score and 22 of them were from "rate shopping" and outside a year old.

But when I apped online I guess Discover's computer system did not distinguish that 98% of the inq's were all one the same day, two years apart and were for rate shopping, so I was instantly declined, I was shocked, with a 777 or 778 FICO, 1% util, good AAoA's, I was declined????

So I called Discover right away and spoke to a lady and asked why was I declined? She answered, too many inq's, I asked her to have a manual look at my report and she would see all the inq's were for rate shopping ect...... she put me on hold for a minute or two, came back and said Congratulations, I was able to get you approved with a 2K CL, I was like uh ok, but only 2K?

She responded with Discover is a conservative lender blah blah, so I said fine, thank you.

Fast forward to like three months ago or so, I requested a CLI online and the system came back with "we need a full report to process your request" I cancelled my CLI request, I called Discover and was transferred to the CLI dept, I explained the situation and was told that if the frontline CSR or the online system needed a full report, there was nothing that could be done by Discover to get around this.

So I waited another month, I ran a 1049 charge thru the card and paid the charge in full the day it hard posted to my account, I called Discover back about a week after that and asked for a CLI again as a 2K CL was not sufficient, the CSR asked "do you want me to put in a request for a CLI?" I said sure go ahead, she came back a minute later a said "we need a full report" to process your request, I had finally had enough and told the CSR I wanted to close my account, she pleaded with me to keep it open and when the year mark came around of my account opening to call back and try for a CLI at that time, she went on to tell me what a great cardholder I was, I always PIF, never carried a balance, blah blah blah.

So I said ok, I'll keep the account open until late May, early June and I'll call back like she said and ask for a CLI, she told me that she had noted in her system that I was very unhappy and was going to close the account and in her note she said she also included some type of escalation for my account to be reviewed, I thanked her and hung up.

So yesterday I get a letter in the mail, nothing on the envelope that indicated it was from Discover, I opened the letter and on the top right of the letter it said Discover, so I started reading it and here's what it said word for word......

Dear My Name,

Congratulations! We're pleased to inform you that your outstanding credit management has earned you a credit line increase on your Discover,

The new credit line on your Discover card is $2,225.00

In the coming months we will continue to evaluate your account, Then based on your overall credit behavior and Discover card usage, we may continue increasing your credit line. And the letter goes on, but nothing important after that.

So, Discover finally gave me a CLI, a WHOPPING $250CLISmiley Very Happy

I am so tempted to call Discover and tell them thanks but no thanks, keep your CLI and close my account, it's obvious you need the $$ more than I do!!!

But I think I'll hold the card for another few months, and see what happens.

I just thought I'd post this, as I thought it was pretty hilarious!! (and honestly a bit insulting)

Thanks for reading.

Sorry to hear Stang! Smiley Very Happy

Maybe some stinky sock treatment will show them you mean business................

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

Maybe some stinky sock treatment will show them you mean business................

Smiley Very Happy That's great LS!!!

BTW, LS, I went and bought a 2005 GSX-R600 with 4500ish miles on her yesterday, It's red and black, it almost matches my mustang perfectly, and let me tell you, this bike MOVES!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the bike looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor, it's just amazing how well the previous owner took care of this bike.

Message 4 of 21
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

Did they actually give you a $250 bump or was it only $225?  On such a massive increase, 10% is BIG.  Smiley Happy

Don't go overboard with all that new found credit.

Message 5 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

Smiley Very Happy That's great LS!!!

BTW, LS, I went and bought a 2005 GSX-R600 with 4500ish miles on her yesterday, It's red and black, it almost matches my mustang perfectly, and let me tell you, this bike MOVES!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the bike looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor, it's just amazing how well the previous owner took care of this bike.

That's awesome Stang Congrats!!!!

I wish i knew how to ride a motorcycle, you need a new license and all for it. I'd be afraid of wrecking.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@JaysonT wrote:

Did they actually give you a $250 bump or was it only $225?  On such a massive increase, 10% is BIG.  Smiley Happy

Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JaysonT wrote:

My mistake, I edited my OP, it was 250.

I know right, I'm scared that I might get into bigtime debt with that huge CLISmiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 21
aamex
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JaysonT wrote:

My mistake, I edited my OP, it was 250.

I know right, I'm scared that I might get into bigtime debt with that huge CLISmiley Very Happy

Smiley Very Happy That's terrible. 

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a pic of her.....I've never owned a bike, but I used to ride my friends everyday after work for about 7 years, so I'm not new to riding.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.