Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover has me confused

tag
CopperHD
New Contributor

Discover has me confused

Ok so after purchasing my house 2 months or so ago i went on a bit of a mini spree with Lowes, Wal mart, and Amex all giving me approvals but discover had denied me due to prior chargoffs on my CR which i understand (currently have 3 in total two paid and one for about $1200 unpaid but all are due to fall off by Decvember 2012).  Today i open the mail box to find an invitation from them to apply for the DIscover more card which they denied me for a month and a half ago, i know a invitation is not a true pre approval but there is a number code and everything to go along with it.

I am not going to apply but find it funny that they would deny me for chargeoffs (not with them, never had a discover) and then send me an offer for the very card they denied me for and my file has not changed except a few more inquiries and a few more accounts.  

Current Scores EQ (697) Tu (740) EX (705) Amex pull
Current Cards- Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex Zync (NPSL), Amex Hilton Honors Surpass ($3000), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($12,000), Citi Simplicity ($10,900), Southwest Visa Signature ($10,500), Discover It ($4250), FNBO Amex ($4,000), First National Credit Card ($2000), Capital One Platinum ($2500 and $1750), Lowes ($6000) , Walmart Discover ($6000).
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover has me confused

Just means you hit one of their targetted list.  Even with preapprovval, you could easier get rejected.  To give you understanding, preapproval letters are generated via generic and limited info only.  For example, Discover could have said give me everyone over XXX Fico and living in these zip codes.  However when you actually apply, Discover will see your actual score and credit report.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 6
logan_720
Established Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Just means you hit one of their targetted list.  Even with preapprovval, you could easier get rejected.  To give you understanding, preapproval letters are generated via generic and limited info only.  For example, Discover could have said give me everyone over XXX Fico and living in these zip codes.  However when you actually apply, Discover will see your actual score and credit report.

Good point. Like with me, I wasn't preapproved, yet I was still approved for the Discover More, yet I have read people getting preapprovals, and still getting denied.

Message 3 of 6
CopperHD
New Contributor

I have tried checking the Discover pre approval site but it just says checking for offers and never does anything.  When i applied for my Amex i was not pre approved for anything but still got it.  

Current Scores EQ (697) Tu (740) EX (705) Amex pull
Current Cards- Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex Zync (NPSL), Amex Hilton Honors Surpass ($3000), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($12,000), Citi Simplicity ($10,900), Southwest Visa Signature ($10,500), Discover It ($4250), FNBO Amex ($4,000), First National Credit Card ($2000), Capital One Platinum ($2500 and $1750), Lowes ($6000) , Walmart Discover ($6000).
Message 4 of 6
Scope27
Regular Contributor

@CopperHD wrote:

I have tried checking the Discover pre approval site but it just says checking for offers and never does anything.  When i applied for my Amex i was not pre approved for anything but still got it.  

Recently every time I try to check the preapproved site from discover it gets stuck at the screen saying they're trying to find a card that's right for me also..

Message 5 of 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

gotta love it when that happens....  just recieved an invitation to apply for  0% for months discover card, but they probably wont approve me since they pull TU and I have 10 INQ's and 21% UTL. and a sub 700 FICO. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.