Discover held back my payment

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Discover held back my payment

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Kutuzov wrote:

Just be done with thier payments, and use your online banking instead. All in one place and no hold backs etc. You can even pay more than what you owe, cash is taken immediately so no worries when your payments post, etc. I find it a lot more convenient.

+1

The only time I've ever had this issue (and it's been several years ago) was when I used a credit card's own website for payment, allowing them to do an ACH 'pull' from my checking.  Once I started making all payments exclusively using my own bank's bill pay to 'push' the payments, I've never had an issue.  HSBC used to be particularly bad about this; their payment holds would last 7+ business days, well after the funds had cleared.

This isn't to say there's never a case for using the card's website for payment, though.  If you ever have an 'emergency' and need to make a payment at the very last moment, it's quite convenient to be able to do so.  In that case, though, most folks will be more concerned with avoiding the late fee than a payment hold... it's a trade-off.

I use push for a few things, but I am much more of a fan of using the issuer site!   If you pay on their site, and you have enough money in your account, they take the responsibility for posting on time etc.   A bank push has a lot more variation, and if things go wrong, you have to sort things out.   Also, it takes more time so you are giving away interest earning money too early.

Agree 100%.

There is also the possibility that the CCC keeps track of when you have scheduled a payment, factors that into the status of the account, and would prefer to see that you have set up an autopayment. PIF Autopayment as a regular attribute one selects on their CCC lets the bank computers sleep at night.

Do I have specific data to back this up? Nope, but the data is there in the systems for the bank algorithms to see if they are smart enough.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Kutuzov wrote:

Just be done with thier payments, and use your online banking instead. All in one place and no hold backs etc. You can even pay more than what you owe, cash is taken immediately so no worries when your payments post, etc. I find it a lot more convenient.

+1

The only time I've ever had this issue (and it's been several years ago) was when I used a credit card's own website for payment, allowing them to do an ACH 'pull' from my checking.  Once I started making all payments exclusively using my own bank's bill pay to 'push' the payments, I've never had an issue.  HSBC used to be particularly bad about this; their payment holds would last 7+ business days, well after the funds had cleared.

This isn't to say there's never a case for using the card's website for payment, though.  If you ever have an 'emergency' and need to make a payment at the very last moment, it's quite convenient to be able to do so.  In that case, though, most folks will be more concerned with avoiding the late fee than a payment hold... it's a trade-off.

I use push for a few things, but I am much more of a fan of using the issuer site!   If you pay on their site, and you have enough money in your account, they take the responsibility for posting on time etc.   A bank push has a lot more variation, and if things go wrong, you have to sort things out.   Also, it takes more time so you are giving away interest earning money too early.

Very true, but most banks (both of mine) take responsibility for any fees should a payment arrive late, which has never happened to me in all the years I've used bill pay. 

I'll also agree with you on the variation on delivery timing, as my own experience has been that some banks are definitely faster than others.  When I use Wells Fargo, it tends to take slightly longer than USAA, which for most of my creditors is the next business day.  This is likely due to Wells using their own in-house system, versus USAA using an outside vendor (Checkfree I believe).

Basically it comes down to personal preference, and what you're more comfortable with.  If you need to avoid the possibility of a payment hold, though, ACH 'push' using the bank's bill pay is the way to go.  If you need (or prefer) instant posting - especially if you're trying to beat a due date - using the creditor's site is the way to go. 

They both have their uses, and aren't necessarily exclusive; I actually have most of my accounts set up to get paid either way.  Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 25
Open123
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Very true, but most banks (both of mine) take responsibility for any fees should a payment arrive late, which has never happened to me in all the years I've used bill pay. 

Likewise, and have never had a single payment arrive late or not send.  The main reason I prefer push is my paranoia on entering the incorrect (typos) checking number caushing the "pull" payment to bounce or be declined.

Message 13 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Open123 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Likewise, and have never had a single payment arrive late or not send.  The main reason I prefer push is my paranoia on entering the incorrect (typos) checking number caushing the "pull" payment to bounce or be declined.

+1

I've actually had this exact concern, since there are threads where it's actually happened to folks and the card got AA because of it. 

Even calling to explain what happened didn't help, since there were other issues contributing, but the "bounced" payment was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

We may be 'paranoid', but a little paranoia never hurt anybody!  Smiley Very Happy

Edit: typo

Message 14 of 25
Kidcat
Established Contributor

I like "push" payments and have been setting it up for more accounts.  It allows me to pay the balance based on what I know the balance to be, and that way I don't have to wait for pending charges to post on a card.  

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 15 of 25
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Kutuzov wrote:

+1

I am also of this mindset.  If requested before a certain time, they must use that date as posting date.  I find they won't make withdrawals on weekends, and bill pay might be slower as well.

Signature needs updating
Message 16 of 25
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

I guess in the end is a matter of personal preference. I like to be able to pay all in one place, and for the amount I want. The first time I do a payment I chip in $1 if it goes through I start making payments normally. I get paid on Thursdays and all payments are clear by Saturday. Except Barclay that will clear by friday, and commenity that will clear by Monday. I pay as soon as the bill cuts, that's between the 26-28 on all cc, so no need to remember multiple cut dates, they all cut around the same day. Depending on what day is the last Thursday of the month I send all payments, and I'm done till next month. If I didn't kill a bill in full, then on the 2nd week of the month I pay what was left. The cc due dates are around the 20-25, so I still got the 3rd week of the month to pay more if I still didn't cut the bill. This method have proven golden since it makes my accounting life easy. Others might go a different direction approach, but the online banking with a systematic approach have worked marvelous for me.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 17 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

+1

I've actually had this exact concern, since there are threads where it's actually happened to folks and the card got AA because of it. 

Even calling to explain what happened didn't help, since there were other issues contributing, but the "bounced" payment was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

We may be 'paranoid', but a little paranoia never hurt anybody!  Smiley Very Happy

Edit: typo

Whereas typos in entering the account number on the bank web site never happen?  

I REALLY don't get this!  In each case you either have to enter payee and a long account number on the bank site, or routing number and bank account number on the credit card site.   For each account/bank pair, you enter the info once on whichever site you choose.    I find it easier to do on the cc sites as I can just cut and paste the routing/acct number from a text file that is the same for all my cards.   And my bank account number changes much less frequently that card number changes due to fraud.

Message 18 of 25
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I REALLY don't get this!  In each case you either have to enter payee and a long account number on the bank site, or routing number and bank account number on the credit card site.   For each account/bank pair, you enter the info once on whichever site you choose.    I find it easier to do on the cc sites as I can just cut and paste the routing/acct number from a text file that is the same for all my cards.   And my bank account number changes much less frequently that card number changes due to fraud.

With potential mistakes, my initial $1 test payment will either be:  (1) in limbo; (2) returned as undeliverable; or (3) paid the wrong account.  In any of those scenarios, since my mistakes were on CC account numbers, I won't risk any potential AA; whereas, on the CC site, a "wrong" bank account number could prove more troublesome.

Message 19 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

With potential mistakes, my initial $1 test payment will either be:  (1) in limbo; (2) returned as undeliverable; or (3) paid the wrong account.  In any of those scenarios, since my mistakes were on CC account numbers, I won't risk any potential AA; whereas, on the CC site, a "wrong" bank account number could prove more troublesome.

+1

If I make a mistake entering the wrong account number at my bank, the payment just goes 'nowhere' and it's not a big deal; I'll have plenty of time to resubmit it correctly.  If a checking account number is entered incorrectly on the creditor's web site, it results in a 'bounced' payment, which could have real-life repercussions.

Like I mentioned earlier, I do use the bill pay feature on occasion on a credit card's web site, just not regularly.  To make sure there's no typos in entering my checking account number, I generally do a copy and paste from my bank's website (they display the full number) to keep it simple. This has the double benefit of keeping me from digging out my checkbook.  Smiley Wink

Again, I just mentioned this as a concern, not as a 'show-stopper'.  I haven't been hit with a payment hold in years from using an ACH 'pull', but using my bank bill pay's ACH 'push' there's no concern either way.  That was the concern the OP detailed in the thread's first post.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.