Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover iT - No Underwriting??

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Discover iT - No Underwriting??

Roomie just applied for Discover iT and thought for sure it was going to approve because he went through 3 screens that said it was processing and looked like it went to possibly even a manual look and then finally came back after 3rd screen of more info that it was declined... of course I popped over here and got the Discover Recon number... Very Nice (I do add) Lady in Deleware says "Discover doesn't have underwriting, just "New Accounts" and the second part that left me saying (this doesn't sound right) "Once a decision has been made on an application we can not change it, but we welcome you to apply back if things change or I can get you info on the Secured Card we offer!?"

Anyone overturn Decline into APPROVED?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover iT - No Underwriting??

@Creditaddict wrote:

Roomie just applied for Discover iT and thought for sure it was going to approve because he went through 3 screens that said it was processing and looked like it went to possibly even a manual look and then finally came back after 3rd screen of more info that it was declined... of course I popped over here and got the Discover Recon number... Very Nice (I do add) Lady in Deleware says "Discover doesn't have underwriting, just "New Accounts" and the second part that left me saying (this doesn't sound right) "Once a decision has been made on an application we can not change it, but we welcome you to apply back if things change or I can get you info on the Secured Card we offer!?"

Anyone overturn Decline into APPROVED?

UPDATE - I called back actually to try to find out more info on this secured, and she seemed DEEPLY confused... but then as we are talking she says something about applications come from this applying department she wanted to transfer me to and I was like hold up, so do you review applications as they are being applied for or do you review if people want to reconsider? she reviews.... okay, so if denied, you can actually over turn if you feel fit? YES

I was like well my roommate just applied and i gave him this number to call into and the lady told him she could not overturn, so let me put him back on if you are saying you can! she said sure... went through verification... first rep said baddies and high balance.  (Roommate thought is was student loans and of course the new Navy that he moved ALL debt to)

she didn't mention any baddies and said she sees the student loans but they are current BUT she says you have a lot of open accounts! So she names off 4 or 5... speaker phone... I chimed in, they are all paid off and he is looking for the Discover to use 0% for the 1 card with a balance and get it paid off, why are $0 accounts an issue?

she says they are to recent (within last year)

They pulled EQ only but I don't know score.

Im more irritated then him over this to many accounts and to new... seems like a Barclay thing.... we want to see 2 years from bankruptcy but you can't have a lot of new accounts and you can't have to many INQ because then it looks like your seeking to much credit.... UMMM.... How else do you plan on me showing you 2 years of GOOD history on other accounts if I don't open any!?

Anyway, I add as per all other posts, she was SUPER NICE and POLITE.... (I was too, I know my tone in email might sound little different!)

Message 2 of 9
Leadberry
Established Contributor

I'm in the same boat.  Everyone at Discover has been extremely helpful and respectful in the process of denying the crap out of me--so much so that they've become this kind of forbidden fruit in my book.  I must have one!

Also, they told me the same thing:  recon is a no-go, but they'd be more than happy to push through a new application.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 3 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Leadberry wrote:

I'm in the same boat.  Everyone at Discover has been extremely helpful and respectful in the process of denying the crap out of me--so much so that they've become this kind of forbidden fruit in my book.  I must have one!

Also, they told me the same thing:  recon is a no-go, but they'd be more than happy to push through a new application.

I was declined in October- reason was limited history post BK ( which was filed in 2005). Fast forward to last month, I applied over the phone and that rep never said it was declined he said he wanted a supervisor to look at it first. A few minutes later, a nice lady asks me some questions and tells me she would refer it to her manager. I could check back in 24-48 hours. I am dying inside by now No way I'm waiting 24-48 hours!   Pacing, I checked my app online and it came back approved!

The only thing that changed was 3 months and it was the It card not the More card. My score was 10 points higher so maybe I had to break the 700 threadshold for approval. 

Edit: They pulled EQ and TU. the card came with the TU score and if they based their approval off that report, I had 6-7 inq from my GE app spree. Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 9
drkaje
Senior Contributor

They may be very conservative when it comes to new accounts/inquiries in cases where people have BKs.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
CopperHD
New Contributor

Discover Denied me twice in the last six months for chargeoff's that were soon to be fallinng off of my reports, they were about 6.5 years old and i had scores in the 670's, still they denied me for specifically the chargeoff's and nothing else.  I had wanted a Discover right up until the moment that i got my first Amex, from that point on i decided that no matter what i would not give them my business.  I find it funny, i was good enough for Amex and CIti but not good enough for Discover and since then i have provided them with a large majority of my business.

Current Scores EQ (697) Tu (740) EX (705) Amex pull
Current Cards- Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex Zync (NPSL), Amex Hilton Honors Surpass ($3000), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($12,000), Citi Simplicity ($10,900), Southwest Visa Signature ($10,500), Discover It ($4250), FNBO Amex ($4,000), First National Credit Card ($2000), Capital One Platinum ($2500 and $1750), Lowes ($6000) , Walmart Discover ($6000).
Message 6 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

That is so weird that they are pushing the matrix card...
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@webhopper wrote:
That is so weird that they are pushing the matrix card...

Especially since its not really 'their' card ...just the network; correct?

Message 8 of 9
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

If someone just filed for bankruptcy and they told you they had just borrowed money from five other people, would you be willing to loan them money? You probably wouldn't. Too many new accounts is a very valid excuse for denial when the applicant has negative history. I have no negative history and still hear Chase and Barclays squaking about it.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.