cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover iT recon, found it a bit funny

tag
Astraywhit

Re: Discover iT recon, update: denial reasons

I discovered this site and annualcreditreport after talking to a discover rep.

My story, shortened, is there is discrepancy with my credit report(s) and I didn't find out about this until I got rejected from discover the first time around--maybe a few months ago?

I brought my report on transunion and discovered that my student loan, which was paid off in full, was being reported as delinquent. I called both numbers on file and spoke to multiple reps that all told me..I'm not in collections, that they didn't send it (BS, so who did?!) and they even gave me a letter stating so. I faxed it in and
my report isn't fixed (I now have transunion alerting me of any new changes)

I'm working full time, and quite honestly am tire of this, but will eventually contact them again and even seek professional help if I can't get it straightened out because while I don't plan to buy in immediate future..I do want to borrow at a low rate for mortgages

I didn't really need too many cc and I already have one that is pretty high credit, citi, that I use for my daily & big purchases.

But I decided to apply again to see if I can get one, esp given discover toting it as a more of a "human" card.

I didn't get approved right away (durr) but then I got 800 numbers calling me, which I ignored thinking it was telemarketers

But then I got an email from from discover saying they need to talk me before deciding; so I called..I wasn't 100% awake, so I was completely honest with the rep and she was able to approve me but under slightly different terms

I like how I never had to push a button or say a command to get routed and I love how they actually try and figure out whether they can or can't approve me.

Message 11 of 14
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover iT recon, found it a bit funny

I agree with many of the posters here.
Firstly, we all know Discover can recon.

Secondly, all of those denial reasons don't mean jackshiz.

I was analyzing an older woman's credit report at work the other day...
She had many of the coveted cards we all strive for...
A few $10-25k Amex's, 10-15k Chase/Citi, even a $20,000 BARCLAYCARD! She owed like $300 out of $100k or so in avail credit, and one of the denial reasons the computer spit back out at me was "balances too high on revolving accounts"
Her FICO was like 816. I was like REALLY computer ?!? She had like maybe 2-4 inqs over two years "too many recent inqs" was another reason.
Naturally, I was able to override the decision for approval.

Heh! Computer automated approvals are janky!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 12 of 14
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I agree with many of the posters here.
Firstly, we all know Discover can recon.

Secondly, all of those denial reasons don't mean jackshiz.

I was analyzing an older woman's credit report at work the other day...
She had many of the coveted cards we all strive for...
A few $10-25k Amex's, 10-15k Chase/Citi, even a $20,000 BARCLAYCARD! She owed like $300 out of $100k or so in avail credit, and one of the denial reasons the computer spit back out at me was "balances too high on revolving accounts"
Her FICO was like 816. I was like REALLY computer ?!? She had like maybe 2-4 inqs over two years "too many recent inqs" was another reason.
Naturally, I was able to override the decision for approval.

Heh! Computer automated approvals are janky!

So would you suggest I call Discover one more time, and get my point across that I'd like my application to be manually reviewed? Cause I find it a bit ridiculous that people have gotten approved with no history, whereas my longest account is close to two years, though it is a student loan. And me having a card open for 6 months with great payment history and I can't get approved (I know, I know YMMV) but still.  Also to remind you, it's the student version, which I've gotten offers for in the mail, twice within the past like 10 months, one of them being a week or so after I was denied the first time lol.  Also, I'm going to PM you.

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 13 of 14
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

You could... I tried to recon in 2011 just once and it failed.
You could try the "annoy them with knowledge approach"
Or the "well, let me talk to a supervisor"
Or the "you better connect me with someone who CAN help me or I will eat you alive"
LOL!
Ask the reasons for denial, and take control of the conversation to explain how you are, in fact, creditworthy.
Seems to work timelessly for those well versed, educated, and credit-knowledgable.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.